Yews - brown's or hicks?

I bought a couple of small potted yews that were labeled "Brown's Yew". These have red berries on them, which is one of the reasons they appealed to me. However the information I have googled up does not mention anything about Brown's yew having berries.

From the pics I've seen, mine look more like Hick's yew, which do have

berries. I think they were mislabled. I'm guessing that I need a male to keep the berries coming, is this correct? Also, can I prune them now to make them more identical? I've transplanted them into pots which will be kept on my front porch. Thanks for any help. Em

Reply to
Emerald

Bumping in hope of reply. Thanks.

Em

Reply to
Emerald

I have a taxus hicksii - just one, and it gets berries. They are very common, so it is likely that there are others in your neighborhood. I also prune mine to keep it to the desired size and shape. If you are going to pure it severely, I would wait until spring.

Reply to
Vox Humana