Why do "dandy lions" get such a bad rap?

It is the time of year I dread. My yard is the only one in the neighborhood with "dandy lions." I tried digging them out, but they came back. I do not want to use chemicals. The flowers are really a nice yellow. Why do people like to avoid them? Is it a plot on the part of chemical companies? Having lived in Arizona for a good part of my life, I like any plant that grows.

Tom

Reply to
tombates

" snipped-for-privacy@city-net.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@t39g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

I like them myself. My horses love them. So do the rabbits. That's seven votes for dandelions here and I leave them be. However, they spread easier than melted butter and neighbors who fight to get them out of their lawn might not be inclined to think they're so cute in your lawn. Fortunately, we don't have that problem here. The biggest crime in Indiana seems to be to not cutting your lawn weekly, not one dotted with dandelions.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

In article , FragileWarrior seven votes for dandelions here and I leave them be. However, they

Champion of the dandelion here. Sorry I'm late. Dandelion salad used to be severed around President's Day. Therefore it is blatantly un-American to kill this patriotic plant. After President's Day, it still gives flavor to salads made from the living-dead lettuce purchased in stores. It ezz not just for zee French anymore. It is a mild diuretic for folks with high blood-pressure and, a good source for vitamins C and A, potassium and, calcium. It strengthens the liver and the gall-bladder. In it's spare time, it can also improve barren soil. So stay that malicious blade and give praise to our friend, the dandelion.

- Bill Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
William Rose

I live 8 miles from the Dandelion capitol of the world. Vineland N.J. Largest city in NJ area wise.

Greens Good

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

I like dandelions myself. The roots can be roasted and ground as a coffee substitue, and the root can also be used to make a magenta dye. The flowers can be used for wine(really wanna do that someday...I'm such a 'alky-frolic' that it takes me 9months to drink 3 20fl oz worth of vodka/fruit juice drink), and as already mentioned, the shoots/green leaves can be used in salads and have health benefits.

Reply to
Lilah Morgan

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in news:gbuYh.5946$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Here's a recipe for tea and then a link to a site with more dandelion recipes:

Dandelion Root Tea

****************

Dandelion tea is rich in minerals and is known as a cleanser of the kidneys and liver, and a very healing herbal remedy that strengthens the entire system. As one of the gentlest and safest diuretics, so it is also a boon during premenstrual syndrome, and is traditionally a good addition to the diet of diabetics. Buy dandelion root at the health food store.

Ingredients

4 cups pure water 6 tablespoons dried dandelion root (1 year old minimum) 6 tablespoons dried dandelion leaf (double amount if fresh) (optional) Simmer the dandelion root in the water, uncovered, for 20 minutes, then strain the liquid over the dandelion leaf. Cover tightly and steep for another 20 minutes; strain the tea again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FragileWarrior

In article , FragileWarrior

Reply to
William Rose

g'day tom,

good point mate.

and that could go for a lot of what a lot call "weeds"

i find dandelions usefull to bring in pollinators for our vege' gardens, as i do with clovers, lotononus and wyncassia (similar plants as clover and all nitrogen fixers).

all our neighbours spend lots of time spraying drought affected lawns to get rid of them, when the wyncassias and lotenonus make a good hard wearing lawn cover, plus they flower. we are letting them take over our um' er' "lawn" as they are easier to maintain and are very drought hardy.

we like hav snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

len garden

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 21:08:34 +0000 (UTC) in , FragileWarrior seven votes for dandelions here and I leave them be.

Yeah, but are all those animals eating on your front lawn, or pasture land? There's a hell of a difference.

Reply to
belly

On 27 Apr 2007 13:53:35 -0700 in , " snipped-for-privacy@city-net.com" graced the world with this thought:

Pick the flowers before they go to seed, which around here is like one day. It doesn't get rid of the dandelions, but it helps keep them from spreading all over the neighborhood, and your neighbors will quit cussing you out for being the source of their having to spray their yards every week.

People want to avoid them because they're highly invasive and ruin landscaping, they can consume a lawn, unchecked, in about three years. Ever play on a golf course with a dandelion problem? No, and you never will... grown in a proper place, they're just fine, I even know people who dedicate part of their garden to them for greens and wine. However, my front lawn is not the proper place, as far as I'm concerned.

Reply to
belly

belly wrote in news:dnLYh.4531$Ut6.1864 @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Front lawn and pasture. Why? What's the difference?

Reply to
FragileWarrior

On Apr 28, 12:56 pm, FragileWarrior graced the world with this

I have a great appreciation for dandelions, as well. But I must admit that I sell a lot of garden tools like weed pullers and weed twisters that many people use especially to remove these blessed plants. Since I don't have a lawn, I can't claim to have a lot of dandelions on my property.

If we spread weed seeds around, we are either deliberately or negligently doing harm to others. Of course, some weeds are more invasive and harmful than others, like the favored dandelion among the people in this discussion.

Using harsh chemicals on our lawns also pollutes the environment, kills good bugs and things, and threatens the health of children and pets who may stray into a freshly sprayed lawn. So, in this case, we must consider our neighbors either way.

------- At peace with weeds! (especially dandelions)

Reply to
raycruzer

Probably the ugly spent flower shoot. The young greens make a dandy salad, prepared like endive. I don't care for the wine. While I wish to avoid using weed killers in my lawn, I have been so disturbed by the spurweed that is taking over that I am compelled to use them now.

Reply to
Wuensch, Karl L.