White spots on pumpkin plant leaves

My pumpkins are developing roundish white spots, has the appearance of residue from minerals in water, but appears to be spreading. Alas, I fear mildew of some sort. Anyone know of a cure for this? I hate to loose these plants - they have quite a few green pumpkins and are growing quite vigorously.

Reply to
Matthew Reed

My gourds have also got white spot on their leaves, they are in containers on an 18 story balcony facing west. in spite of this they appear healthy but still I worry when I don't know what is causing it. I only use organic fertilizer... but the soil might be exhausted. They are heavy feeders. Any expertise would help. Thanks, Jim I have a photo but I don't know how to post it.

Reply to
jim.mckelvey

My pumpkins got it too. Looks like white powdery mildew. It came up on the first leaves from the stem but after that it doesn't seem to have spread and the fruit is developing just fine.

You can post either from a personnel web-site, photo bucket etc. to alt.binaries,pictures.gardens Just let us know when you do and we can go there to view :)

Reply to
Elaine

You don't make it clear whether these spots are on the pumpkin fruit themselves, or on the leaves! I'll assume on the leaves.

Have you tried the milk spray for mildew? About 1 part full cream milk

  • 3 parts water. Shake well and spray all foliage thoroughly. Some recipes include bicarb of soda too, but I don't know that it is necessary.

No, I haven't tried this recipe as I have no space for zucchinis here.

Reply to
John Savage