What the holy mother of hell is this?

Found it growing on a cedar tree. Is it some sort of insect egg case? Or a parasitic plant? Or an advance scout for an alien invasion force?

I could get better pictures of it with my digital camera tommorrow, if necessary (these were from my flatbed scanner).

Darren Garrison

Update-- here's a newer pic:

it growing on a cedar tree. Is it some sort of insect egg case? Or a parasitic plant? Or an advance scout for an alien invasion force?

I could get better pictures of it with my digital camera tommorrow, if necessary (these were from my flatbed scanner).

Darren Garrison

Darren Garrison expounded:

parasitic plant? Or an

necessary (these were from my

Very strange little things, aren't they??!?

Reply to
Ann

parasitic plant? Or an

Appears to be vegetable (rather than animal) in nature. Beyond that, I have no clue.

Reply to
Mark

Ann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

pshaawww, don't let her fool you.

those are clearly the newly shed exoskeletons of the land dwelling octopus: octopus squirrelbraineatingerensis

here is some more info on land dwelling octopi

Salty Thumb

Spore fruiting-bodied of Gymnosporangium rust (a fungus), also called cedar apple gall rust. The rust needs two host to complete the lifecycle: Juniper and some Crabapple, Amelanchier, Hawthorne, etc.

Reply to
Mike LaMana

Or a parasitic plant? Or an

necessary (these were from my

I thought it was a Cthulhu turd.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Salty Thumb expounded:

Reply to
Ann

parasitic plant? Or an

necessary (these were from my

I want one! I could really scare the hell out of my husband with that!!! ;-)

Callen in VA

Reply to
Callen Molenda

thanks ann...............i cannot believe the things i learn in here!

Reply to
rosie

Marketing Opportunity!

Look for them on EBAY.

(watch for nationwide Cedar Rust epidemic later this year)

Reply to
dps

Good thing he's sleeping.

Swyck

Reply to
Swyck

You should market those. The perfect solution to squirrels in the garden. You'd make $millions.

-

theoneflasehaddock

Reply to
theoneflasehaddock

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 19:35:22 -0400, Darren Garrison wrote: I posted your message to a professor friend, Here is his reply:

Good to hear from you. I hope you didn't touch this thing. If you did, you better check your crotch in the next few days. You may have something growing there! NO--- I'm just joking. The organism in the photograph is the cedar-apple rust. It's a fungal parasite of both apple trees and cedar trees. It is a very exotic looking beast when it grows on the cedar tree.

Here are a couple websites that show similar photos with an explanation of the life cycle.

You may have to cut and paste to get the entire address into your browser. And I hope this helps, because I'm only serving as the middle man. I have no personal knowledge of this thing

parasitic plant? Or an

Reply to
royroy