What is this (Moss like) species of Plant?

Hi all, my name is Lee and I'm new to this Forum. I was hoping one of you gardening enthusiasts or experts may be able to help me.

For a number of years now I have been trying to source and alternative to moss for my Japanese Garden. Some worked but most had their flaws, but through trial and error I have found one that works well. The trouble is I dont know what it is called.

I bought it from a nursery in late summer 2012 but it didnt have a tag and the nursery assistant didnt know. I attach a picture in the hope that one of you may be able to help me identify it.

Its characteristics are that it is light green (almost aurea), its groundcovering, with a heather type appearance (but I'm pretty sure its not a heather species), it only appears to reach about 3-4 inches in height and is mat forming.

Any advice on what species it is (so that I can order a batch of them in the spring) would be gratefully received.

Many thanks Lee

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: Unknown Plant Species 2.jpg | |Download:
Lee Mac

This isn't a forum. This is usenet and your are seeing our posts because Gardenbanter steals our posts without the permission of the posters and posts them on it's site

I was hoping one of

I know I've seen it and should know the name of it, but I can't recall it. Sorry

Reply to
Farm1

Looks like you might have Selaginella kraussiana, golden spikemoss, Krauss's spikemoss, African Clubmoss. It's native to the Canaries, Azores and parts of Africa. It's not a true moss, but a relic of the oldest extant vascular plant division, the Lycophyta. They're spore bearing, like mosses, but they have microphylls, leaves with a single vascular trace, unlike all the other vascular plants.

If you've been to the Museum of Natural History in London, you may have noticed some strikingly patterned columns -- some of them are copies of the patterns of giant Lycophyte trunks, like Lepidodendron, of the Carboniferous.

Anyhow, Selaginellas are cool plants, imo. S. kraussiana is probably the easiest for most people to grow, but you might try some different species, too. My favorite goes by the common name "peacock fern" or "rainbow moss", though it's no more a fern than a moss: S. uncinata. The foliage is iridescent.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Good morning Kay

Thank you for your detailed response, it is good to now have a name to put to the plant, it is much appreciated. I'll take a look at your suggested alternative as well before ordering a batch in the spring.

Thanks again Lee

Lee Mac

There are several species of Selaginella in commerce, and you might want to try them all -- they all have slightly different textures and colors, and of course,cultural requirements. In addition, there are several different cultivars of S. kraussiana, all with slightly different colorations.

S. kraussiana has become a bad weed in New Zealand, so it can get out of hand.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster