weird second year parsley

Hi Fran,

EAT THE WEED! Sorry, I will get myself under control. I use to kill Purslain until I found out it was food. It grows wild around here. Now the poor dears get pampered.

I remember from my college days and Economic Botany, a weed is not what you think it is:

Weeds:

1) agriculture discard. (Once grown for food.)

2) small seeds or seeds that mask themselves as other seeds

3) grows on disturbed soil

Have you ever noticed that Dandelions only grow where you walk? This is why. Our local cow pasture break out in a lovely yellow every spring (cows hooves).

So the solution to weeds is to eat them! Purslain is really hard to kill. Lots of really tiny seeds and loves where I walk and my garden (I turn the soil over every sprint to kill all the grass in it, which "disturbs" the soil much to mu Purslain's delight).

Some advocates say that Purslain is the most nutritious plant on the planet. Tastes like watercress. I use it in salads, on burgers, or just for munchies. Love it with my Paleo ranch dressing.

Thank you for the mentoring. My thumb is still black, BUT AT LEAST I CAN GROW WEEDS!

-T

Reply to
Todd

They adapt as they go through the cycle of sprouting, living, setting seed, dieing. Good old basic science of natural selection.

But, definitely is more

Nah. If you can grow anything at all you are just like the rest of us - you are in the learning phase. That goes on till you die (or it should)

Reply to
Fran Farmer

Can't say that I have. The best dandelions I have are in my rose garden but I don't walk in there.

We breed cows and we don't seem to have any dandelions in our pastures. Perhaps the cows choose to eat them first or perhaps our climate is not moist enough for any dandelions to germinate.

I've always liked the following definition for weed: "a plant growing in the wrong place".

Another thought bubble on weeds - often weeds were once much used in domestic work to dye wool and other fibres. Also some were used to line shoes or to make 'candle' tapers (verbascum), or maybe even some could have been used to to tan skins??? I don't know about the latter thought bubble but I do know about the dye plants used for fibre.

Reply to
Fran Farmer

Hi Fran,

Oh yes. Let the cows in and the Dandelions will disappear as if by magic! Do you do the pasture rotation thing? Grass --> Cows --> Sheep --> Turkeys --> Chickens --> Grass? Watched a documentary on that. Absolutely fascinating science behind it. You are actually raising grass and not cows!

Do you do Cow-Calf? Or do you raise them for eatin'?

Thank you for teaching me!

-T

Reply to
Todd

Hi Fran,

I was thinking genetically identical. Of course they would not be. The better seeds would do better the next season.

My current Parsley has little green flowers on their tops.

How do I know when to pick them?

How do I store them?

Thank you for the help,

-T

Reply to
Todd

I like the variation:

"a plant out of place".

Reply to
Dan.Espen

It will develop star-shaped clusters of tiny flowers at the top of the stalks, after the petals fall off you will have clusters of green seed pods. When the pods are ripe is the time to harvest the seeds. As they ripen they will change colour to yellow-brown and get drier eventually releasing small black seeds. If the head is crumbly and you can rub it between your hands and get black seeds separating easily then you can collect the seed before it falls.

Google 'seed saving' for lots of information on how to collect and store seed of many kinds.

David Hare-Scott

Thank you!

Do you know if is practical to think they will seed in time to be planted this year?

Reply to
Todd

Do you think if I were to ask you if can you tell me if your socks have holes would your answer be yes?

David Hare-Scott

worm food. :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Hi David,

Of course it would! You know all and see all! :-)

Thank you for the help. I am slowly learning.

-T

Reply to
Todd