Vines for clay soil

Does anybody can recommend a vine that will grow in heavy clay soil? I need to close a big fence but I am not willing to amend the soil.

Thanks

Reply to
claudia

Google suggests that silverlace vine (Russian vine, mile-a-minute vine, Polygonum aubertii) and some honeysuckles (sempervirens, periclymenum, hispidula) might work. I don't have any experience with growing them in clay, though.

-- Jerry Friedman

Reply to
jerry_friedman

I believe that neither ivy (genus Hedera) nor grapes are fussy about soils.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Gwacious! Why do you think the French (and now the U.S.) are so choosy about the type of soil Wine Grape "x" grows in! That's supposed to be practically the #1 factor for winemakers. Maybe the grapes aren't "fussy" but the vintners certainly are!

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

Although soils are indeed important, good wine is more determined by climate than by soils. For table grapes, however, soils are generally not really important. In any case, I was responding to a question about growing a vine on a fence, not about viticulture.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Boston Ivy

Reply to
Rick Yerke

"claudia" wrote in news:1174401624.381780.291710 @y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Clematis paniculata grows like a weed in my clay soil.

Reply to
Rob

I have nice clay soil and I have several vines which do very well.

C. paniculata (already mentioned) Campsis radicans 'Flava' aka Trumpet vine Passiflora aka Passion flower, all varieties do well in clay Mascagnia macroptera aka Butterfly vine

There are so many it is hard to name a fraction. I have these above and I live in USDA Zone 8b, Texas

Reply to
Jangchub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo