URGENT!!! - need advice re. greenhouse 6mil poly

Problem: We are about to stretch 6mil poly film over a new 24'x72' greenhouse. I am afraid that I will "tear" the 6mil poly film on a burr that may be on the 2" galvanized steel hoops.

My thoughts are to "cover" the edge of the 2" hoops that touch the 6mil poly with something like a run of Duct-Tape.

Question: That type of tape (or other) would be best to use? I am afraid that the Duct-Tape will dry out & become useless in a short time. I am concerned that other tapes may have a chemical reaction to the poly. 3M tech-support did not have a clue as to what to use.

Please email me if you have an answer:-)

THANKS a million in advance!!!!

Gene Briggs, TX

Reply to
Gene

or you could file off the burr...

I'd go with the duct tape... or perhaps fiberglass reinforced tape....

Reply to
Philip Edward Lewis

specifically designed for use on the hoops of what we call polytunnels. a polytunnel supplier in the states should be able to supply... The Q

Reply to
The Q

I use duct tape because it's generally what I have on hand at the moment. The tape will dry out eventually, but it doesn't seem to be a problem because by that time the plastic is fairly static, i.e. not moving across the frame (except slight motions caused by wind).

The plastic film repair tape is another option, but it's more expensive.

Go with what you have.

Reply to
Dwight Sipler

Use Poly Patching Tape sold here:

's down toward the lower part of the page. I use it for my greenhouse. They also sell clear duct tape at the box stores. I've used that too, and it is fine for one season.

Victoria

Reply to
animaux

THANKS!! for the help.

I ordered 12 rolls of 2" 6mil Poly-Patch tape for $5.40 a 48' roll. I think that the poly tape will stay in place & be chemically compatible with the film, in that they are the same stuff:-)

Gene

Reply to
Gene

Very good. It's a good price for it. When I've used it in the past it has well outlasted the greenhouse poly. You should experience similar results.

Victoria

Reply to
animaux