Urgent Mandevilla help needed!

I went outside to wash the sheets I use to cover my plants on cold nights and the ones that had been sitting outside in the rain were frozen! It's 37 here now and depending on what channel you watch, we should get down to 28-32 (although being closer to the city we usually stay a few degrees warmer).

So I brought everything in, but my mandevilla is wound up through the lattice, only way to bring him in is to trim him down.

I'm guessing that at this temp, the frozen sheets and the fact that the soil is fully saturated, I should just bite the bullet and bring him in? I'm so upset, he bloomed *so* late this year. :(

I've been overwintering him for 4 or so years and would hate to lose him now.

Diane Zone 6

Reply to
Diane

I would bring it in. Go ahead and trim it. It is my experience that they don't tolerate any manipulation. The one have breaks at the slightest attempt to bend it. Mine is also about 4 years old and I am in zone 6. I'm sure yours won't survive 28F temperatures. I used to baby mine, leaving it in a sunny spot, but I find that by mid December it goes dormant, so I have just been putting it directly in the basement.

Reply to
Vox Humana