rose pruning 101

I'm a complete rookie when it comes to roses; and most other plants now that I think of it. So now that I've planted a few roses I've looked for pointers on pruning and encountered the following advice from an online seller: "cut the cane at a 45-degree slant about ¼ - ½ inch above the bud eye" So my question is, what is a "bud eye?" TIA. Vic snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Vrstull

Roses are not a "beginner" plant as these typically need lots of special care to grow well. An "eye bud" is located where the

5-leaflet of leaves meets the stem. There will be a tiny ball in that crease when viewed from the top. BTW, it is generally not a good idea to prune a rose at the time of planting, and pruning roses before cold winter months is not wise.
Reply to
Phisherman

A bud eye is a growth bud (as compared with a flower bud). =

See my rose pruning page at . =

Reply to
David Ross