Tree Repotting! Help!!!

I have just been given a twisted/corkscrew hazel tree, and i really love it, but the pot is clearly far too small for it. i wanted to repot it but im really worried about damaging it or doing something wrong. i dont want to make things worse! any tips on how to do it properly? its currently in compost, should i leave it this way? and if so, which compost should i use? multipurpose? sorry for being so lost and clueless! lol

thanks everyone

danny

Reply to
danny22

As far as planting depth and root pruning (see pruning, roots)

Soil would be better than all compost.

Reply to
symplastless

i was advised by a lady at the garden centre that it should be repotted in a pot around two inches wider and deeper than its current one, and potted in peat-free compost composed from tree bark. in all honesty it looks similar to the stuff it was already growing in. do i need to give it extra water or food to help it along its way?

Reply to
danny22

About food. You cannot feed the plant. It is a autotroph. It makes its own food.

Reply to
symplastless

That helps this guy so much John. When his plant dies due to not being able to get decent repotting advice I'm sure he'll sit there with his head in his hands moaning... "if only I'd known a plant was an autotroph..."

moron

Reply to
kzin

The Tiny Tim of the gardening groups. Morons stand next to him so that they'll seem smarter which, I presume, is what Staples is doing with him. Posting is obviously a compulsive thing with him. If he can't see himself in print, he doesn't exist. Because he can't define empathetic, no one is ever going to say, what ever happened to good ol' what's his face?

Reply to
Billy