Tomato plant wilting

Cool. Thanks a lot! Hopefully this will be the solution I've been desperately looking for.

LauraJ

Reply to
Laura J

I've had similar success with a different base product. Instead of the hog-type fencing, I use a product called remesh which is what I normally put down before a pour to stabilize new concrete floors. The best part of this is that the openings are already 6" X 6" so there is no need to cut additional openings. It is a little harder to work with and requires a heavier-duty wire cutters than the other, but it is very sturdy. (I think 10 gauge wire vs. 16/18 gauge) I usually cut to about 9squares in length and make the cut just outside the start of the 10th vertical which leaves the horizontals available to wrap back around # 10 from top to bottom to hold the thing together. I cut off the bottom strand all the way around, leaving the vertical runs intact. This gives me about 10 6" vertical spikes which when pushed in and as Doug mentioned, rotate hard against the soil until the bottom horizontal is a couple inches below the soil. With this method and tying off the occasional limb to the structure, I find that I don't need the support posts that were required with the lighter cages. A 75' roll at the big box home stores runs about $75 and I got a total of 16 cages. So far they have lasted 7 seasons with no visible degradation.

As Doug said no animal issues at all..... if I could just make a cage big enough to keep the squirrels out of the Cherry, Peach & Pear trees I'd be a happy man!

Keith

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message news:GU_ne.72$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny...

Reply to
Keith Warren

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 14:57:55 GMT, "Laura J" wrote in rec.gardens:

In case it doesn't, here is a wild shot to try: birds and small animals often attack tomatoes for water, not food. Try putting a bird bath or two in your garden. It worked wonders for me when my tomatoes were beset by biblical numbers of birds.

-- Gardening Zones Canada Zone 5a United States Zone 3a Near Ottawa, Ontario

Reply to
Jim Carter