Time for learning

I signed up for a Master Gardening class during the winter. To get ready for a new year and for a new growing season. I have read several books over the years and yet, I still do not feel adequate, not enough to consistently grow nice and healthy plants each year.

Is gardening like the "Racers Curse" I want my car to be faster than others, I want my garden to grow nice and healthy each and every year? Is this a fantasy? Are their gardeners that have nice and healthy plants each and every year.

Sigh .... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

My feeling is that there are too many variations of locales within a zone, soil types and mixture of soil types, drainage, weather, variations of a plant species, and so forth is to only experiment locally to get it "right".

Reply to
Dioclese

Ahhh .... you have hit the nail on the head! I have found reading and experimenting can take one just far, books are generalized. If I read the online course material correctly, these classes are locally orientated. I am hoping I will meet other local gardeners and find out more about gardening in my local area from more experienced gardeners.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

That's it exactly. You take a challenge and see what you can do with it. In our case, it is things that taste good. Lucky us.

Reply to
Billy

Most of the food taste great, some not so great. The smaller the vegi the better tasting. The larger the vegi not as good, just ok no better than the stuff at the store.

As Bungadora said "Cold is relative'. I received 17 inches of snow the last 3 days, the low last night was -2 F, windchill -20 F. For me gardening means reading and learning during the winter. Next year I plan on dramatically expanding my vegi garden to from 700 sq ft -> 7,000 sq ft. and learn to preserve my food. I see hard times coming, if not here all ready. Some of my friends believe the US currency will completely collapse over the next few years. Remember, I live in Michigan the hardest hit state of all the states in terms of unemployment. I feel the need to be better prepared. A small windmill generator may go up to power the well, sump pump and a small freezer, if I can find the time and money.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.