Thuja Green Giant

Anybody here have these trees? I planted a couple dozen of them some years ago, oh perhaps 8 years, and they're about 15 feet tall now. I don't ever recall seeing cones on them. My neighbor planted a property line full two years ago the this year they all have little cones developing on them. Now, these are both the Green Giant variety from Wayside Gardens. I've contacted them with the question but they don't come up with any reason except that it's not genetic so I must have something in my soil to prevent them from forming cones. The trees are full and healthy and I'm just curious why the difference between my and his trees. Both of our trees are planted along side each other on the property line so the soil is the same.

Any answers??

ctlady

Reply to
ctlady

No answers, some observations. Not all trees produce seed at the same age, to many other conditions can come into play. Differences in soil, exposure, moisture, etc, can change fruiting. Generally, trees under stress tend to fruit sooner. Your neighbors could be root bound, and have dwarfed on him. If yours are as you say, full and healthy, just wait a while.

Reply to
Don Staples