Squirrel is destroying cukes

another incessantly if one wants to move into their territory.

Lots of squirrels here, and some of them do tolerate one another, but I think those are offspring from earlier in the year, later in the year. They have 2 batches of babies here too.

I know the city folks -as in city government- who tell people they can't kill the squirrels or trap them .. also said they are territorial, so doesn't matter *here* what you do, more will always move in .. no matter how many you can manage to kill within the confines of your property.. there will always be about 15 that will try to move into the dead/gone one's territory.

I think squirrels are cute, but I still hate 'em now as far as sharing my piece of the world with them. Wish they could be repelled or somehow stopped from coming into the yard, but short of illegal fencing the property, like up all sides and with a cover..with tiny mesh, ain't going to get rid of them out of my yard.

Good luck to y'all with those "non-territorial" ones, but I know I'd like to shoot anyone bringing a squirrel into MY area if I was living outside town and someone got the bright idea of letting some squirrels loose out where I lived.. should I managed to move out of town far enough to be squirrel free.. so planted some nut trees.. oh my .. someone bringing squirrels out there.. I'd figure hangin' would be too good for 'em! .. and I'm only .. kidding.

Janice

Reply to
Janice

If I didn't feed the little buggers roasted peanuts, I'd probably have a peanut forest in my backyard. What irritates me is that the little ingrates seem to prefer digging in newly-turned soil, i.e. where I've planted something.

I get a charge out of watching them in my backyard (and so do my indoor cats). They usually appear one at a time, but sometimes 4 come by at once. Occasionally there is a bit of a skirmish, but no serious problems since I usually toss plenty of peanuts for all.

Generally they are so fast that I can't keep track of who is chasing who and what happens to the loser, but a while ago I saw a gray squirrel chase a black squirrel up the tree in a spiral, then down again. After that, they all got along fine feasting on the peanuts, so I'm not sure what the chasing was about.

Curly Sue