Leaf Miners in my Columbine

Hello

I have one single columbine that has a pretty bad case of leaf miners. I know usually you can just pick off the infested leaves and discard. But my whole plant is taken over. I'm afraid if I don't take some action soon it will kill my plant. Would insecticidal soap do the trick? Is there any way of getting rid of these little things? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, BC

Reply to
BottleCap

Its too late to do treat the infested leaves. You can cut the plant off to the ground and dispose of the leaves. New leaves will appear. I usually see some leaf miner damage after the plants flower. This year it stared very early and the plants are quite heavily infested.

Reply to
Vox Humana

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Unfortunately, columbine leaf miners are not affected by insecticidal soaps as they reside INSIDE the leaves and are untouched by spraying. I have yet to see them kill a plant, though. This spring, the miners haven't been a problem but columbine cutworms have - pretty odd to see all these blooming columbines with nothing but skeletonized foliage to offset them. Just cut off the affected foliage - new leaves will be produced almost immediately and should develop past the normal life cycle of the miners.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Never seen a leaf miner infestation kill columbines yet. I'd imagine you would need to use a systemic unless you were able to time the emergence of the adult leaf miners but like I said I never seen a plant taken down by them.

Reply to
Beecrofter

Reply to
gregpresley

I dunno, Greg - I have always had a problem with cutworms and columbine regardless of how balmy the spring may be. They don't seem to bother too much else, though, and I have a policy of peaceful coexistance with most garden critters - unless I catch them in the act, then all bets are off!!

Spooky weather - tornadoes in the PNW, what next?!? And of course the monsoons have to arrive when the only reliable piece of transportation I have is my little antique convertible with the hole in the top and the defunct windshield wiper motor. Nice timing!

pam - gardengal

immediately

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

"BottleCap" in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

there are lots of things to grow. there are also lots of aquilegia species. some might be more tolerant of miners. do you like the aquilegia fo flowers or foliage? for both?

Reply to
Gardñ

"Pam - gardengal" in news:1p8uc.10521$IB.6910 @attbi_s04:

?? :-)

Reply to
Gardñ

Cutworms with older established plants? I've never had trouble with cutworms, or even leaf miners, but thrips suck all the color out of the blossoms, so I finally had to realize I need to only grow white ones!! Or go out and catch minute pirate bugs to eat the thrips.. or spend money LOTS of money to buy the minute pirate bugs to eat all the thrip that suck on columbine and petunia flowers, and gladioli, onions.. etc.! Only works if there is an abundant source of pests.. or food, .. all depends on which perspective you're looking at it from.. bug or gardener.! And you need to not use any pesticides or you're going to waste your time and money!

Janice

Reply to
Janice

Thanks Guys for all the suggestions !!! I removed all the infected leaves and just for giggles I did spray with insecticidal soap. I hope the plant will recover. Thanks Again Guys !

Reply to
BottleCap