Small tree recommendation

how about a olive or fig tree? They do well in poor soil and, as best I can tell, lots of sun light.

rob

Reply to
George.com

There is a space in my yard right off the patio that might be good for a small tree, but I'm not sure what to plant there. The area is about an 8' x

8' square bordered on the front side by the patio (exposed aggregate concrete); on the back with a 6' wood privacy fence; and on side a PVC vinyl storage shed. (There is nothing bordering the other side of the square.) The area gets full sun all day and has clay soil which would be time-consuming and expensive to improve significantly. Would any small tree grow in these conditions? Any ideas welcome.

Rhonda Richmond, VA USDA Zone 7

************************ Basic human psychology is one of my subroutines.
Reply to
Natty Dread

Paperbark Maple, Chinese Fringe tree, Serviceberry, Rose of Sharon Inkberry, Swiss Stone Pine and (maybe the best) Princess Kay Plum.

Reply to
told2b

Maintenance Suggestions

A pruning guide that will help you is "World Wide Pruning Guide" by Dr. Shigo.

we must treat the whole system. The systematic approach to the care of trees is called Modern Arboriculture. The book Modern Arboriculture can be found here. Again the web site is: See proper Planting
"pruning" in our Techno Tree Biology Dictionary
you can not afford the literature then your library can get it if you order it. Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.

of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss. Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that will give them understanding.

Reply to
John A. Keslick, Jr.