shasta daisy: difference between becky and alaska?

Hi,

How can I tell the difference between shasta daisy 'becky' from shasta daisy 'alaska'? Thanks a lot.

Audrey

Reply to
audrey

Primarily by bloom time, although 'Becky' tends to have a slightly larger flower as well. 'Becky' is a reliable repeat bloomer, producing flowers well into the fall in mild climates, long after 'Shasta' has finished its bloom.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Thanks Pam.

Also, do shasta daisies tend to "fall over"? Most of mine are falling over. Their stems look thick and hard but don't seem to be able to hold up the plants. It's not as though they are super tall, only 3 feet or so. On a related note, my purple cone flowers and black-eyed susans are also about to fall over too (they are in a leaning state right now). What did I do wrong? Are the roots not deep enough? I grew them from seeds. I simply cannot stake all of them as I have so many. The flowers are beautiful, but their falling/leaning states are making them looking awkful! Any pointers?

Thanks.

Audrey

Reply to
audrey

I took some wire fencing with 1-1/2 squares, and green coated wire, rolled it out over where my daisies grow, and then supported it on stakes at about a foot and a half high, and secured the back edge to the deck railing they're growing next to.

So as the daisies grew, they grew up through the holes, and beyond. They're essentially bundled together, and only need to support themselves from above the grid instead of their whole height.

Reply to
Warren