Selling mature plants

Hi all,

I have a garden full of mature plants, shrubs and tree's.

The previous owner was a landscape gardner and spent a fortune o beautiful growing things.

I am expecting my first child and want to make the garden kid friendly you know grass, somewhere to play that sort of thing.

Now I know that some of the Bamboo's and chinese maples I have ar worth money, I was hoping to sell them to finance the project.

My problem is, I have no idea where to sell them or who to contact.

Help.

Thank

-- NICOLLI

Reply to
NICOLLI

*shrug* I'd have killed to have grown up with a 'lush' yard...as opposed to the generic grass and dogshit that most kids get.
Reply to
Becky A

Where are you? Have you tried Craigs List?

Reply to
Travis

You have to be kidding (or trolling).

Reply to
Vox Humana

Why do you say that ?

all i want is a little advice from people who are in the know.

Sorry, I obviously shouldn't have bothered.

Thanks for help, NO

-- NICOLLI

Reply to
NICOLLI

"NICOLLI" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk...

I think "bother" is the operative word here. Putting aside the fact that there is nothing anti-child about mature trees or bamboo or that your child won't be running around the garden for a few years, there isn't much of a market for used plants. Sure, if you have some extraordinarily rare specimen, you might find a buyer. The simple fact is that people are taking a big chance on buying mature plants that are being removed by an armature. Furthermore, you would have to spend some time and money advertising your plants. You would also have to identify them. Bamboo isn't an adequate description. The plants would have to be removed and transported by someone. If you expect the buyer to do this, you are really limiting your market and you would have to endure strangers coming to your home and removing the plants. There is liability there. Plants generally come with some sort of guarantee. Local nurseries discount their plants by 30% if you buy them without a guarantee. Even then, the plants are ready to take home, or for an additional fee, you can arange for delivery. Many people pay for professionals to plant large, expensive specimens for them. I assume you don't plan to offer the plants already in containers, nor will you offer a guarentee, delivery, or planting. That means that your plants will be worth very little even if you find someone who is willing to come over, dig, transport, and plant them without a guarantee. A five gallon container of bamboo might sell for $75 from a specialty nursery. Yours might be worth $25 at best. That won't buy much garden renovation. Frankly, I would get some professional advice before doing anything. You could end up removing a specimen and then spending a lot of money replacing it with something inferior. If the garden designer recommends removing the plants, perhaps he/she could find someone to buy them. Most likely the best you will do is to find someone to remove the plants at no charge, thus saving you the expense of removal and disposal.

Reply to
Vox Humana

My plan was to sell the plants, shrubs and trees to a landscape gardene

or local nursery.

Vox Humana Wrote:

-- NICOLLI

Reply to
NICOLLI

Then you have your answer. Call them and see what they say. My guess is that unless you have something rare or a vast quantity of something they won't be interested, but it never hurts to ask. What happens when they sell the plants to someone with a 1 year guarentee and they come back dead next spring? The nursery will expect you to take the dead plants back and return the money. They also won't want to come over and dig and containerize the plants. By the time you buy pots and potting soil, dig the plants, and transport them to the nursery, the lower-than-wholesale price they offer won't look so good. I think you would do better to contact a gardening club and see if they have some ideas. Some local clubs have plant exchanges and sales. As I said before, the best you might get is someone who agrees to come over and remove the plants for free, reducing your renovation expenses.

Reply to
Vox Humana