Roses: the language of love lasts long after Valenti ne’s Day

Roses. Ask almost anyone what roses symbolize and they=92ll tell you, =93Love.=94 In February, our thoughts turn to love, thanks to St. Valentine, Cupid=92s little arrows and, of course, roses.

If you=92re thinking of treating your Special Sweetie to roses on February 14, I say, =93Good for you!=94 But I have an idea that will put a unique tweak on your gift that will show your love lasts longer than just Valentine=92s Day. Doesn=92t that sound good?

But first, before you rush out and plunk down your hard-earned cash for a bunch of blooms, take a minute to think about the language of flowers; what the color of the rose says about you and your feelings.

Yes, strange as it might seem, flowers really do have a language, a code if you will, that legend says originated in 15th century Persia, coming to Europe over the next three hundred years. By the 19th century, people in Europe and America were using this floral code to send wordless messages to each other. Because each flower, color, and even number of flowers and how they were arranged in the bouquet had special meanings, lovers could converse secretly without ever exchanging a word.

Roses are the flowers most associated with the emotions, particularly love. But are you sure those roses you=92re about to grab at the supermarket express exactly the feelings you wish to convey? For a start, there are many shades of red rose, each expressing slightly different emotions. Consider this:

Mid red roses: romantic love and respect Amaranth red: long standing desire Cardinal red: sublime desire Carmine red: deceitful desire Fiery red: flames of passion

It doesn=92t stop with red, of course. Other colors have special meanings that you might want to consider, depending on the message you wish to convey:

Lavender/purple: grace, gentility, refinement Peach: sociability, friendship Pink: appreciation, gratitude Red and white together: unity Red and yellow together: happiness, gaiety, fun Yellow: joy, celebration

So lavender roses might be perfect for grandma or your inlaws, perhaps. Peach roses could be could be a nice choice for your best friend, and pink roses to say thank you to a co-worker. Yellow roses are often seen at wedding showers and receptions, but be careful! In Islamic tradition, yellow roses symbolize treachery or deceit, in Mexico they are associated with death and to the French they imply infidelity!

Well, here=92s my =93unique tweak=94 to make this Valentine=92s Day the mos= t memorable ever. Give your Honey a rose bush rather than a bouquet. Why? A bouquet will fade and wither in a few days, but a live, growing rose bush, planted where she or he will see it everyday, year after year, speaks of a love that is perennial!

I strongly recommend Knockout Roses because they are relatively easy to care for and produce an amazing amount of gorgeous, fragrant blooms, often twice as many as other varieties. Look for:

Rose Knockout Red This is an excellent choice for a low-maintenance, disease resistant rose. Fluorescent, fire-engine red in cooler temperatures turning deep, dense pink in the heat of summer.

Rose Knockout Double Red Ooh, the passion! This one has deep iridescent burgundy red. You=92ll find 5 or 6 blooms per stem giving a luscious, luxurious display.

Rose Knockout Double Pink The Double Pink is a little more dense and compact than some other Knockouts, reaching about 3 to 4 feet high with those eye-popping, blushing-pink double blooms.

Rose Knockout Rainbow This is one of my favorites, blooming from spring to fall with blooms that open orange from coral-pink buds, and then quickly turn soft coral-pink shading to gold at the base, surrounding a yellow center.

Look for knockout roses in one gallon containers as they=92ll be further along in their growth cycle and more likely to thrive once planted.

Knockout roses will bring a perennial display of passionate color and heady fragrance to your loved one=92s garden. What better way to say =93I love you=94 on Valentine=92s Day and every day for years to come?

Feel free to send me an e-mail if you want more information on Knockout roses or need some buying information.

earl