Actually, I have *nothing* invested in it except the space it inhabits because some generous bird "planted" it there.....:))
The book was a "Toxic Plants & Mushrooms of North America" type of thing.
[I had to buy it because of the pup's tendencies to stick everything in her mouth]
Ironically, I grew up with huge mulberry in my front yard and cheerfully played under it and in it, while also enjoying the berries with no problems.
I never gnawed the leaves or any such thing so I have no idea if the "danger" is over-rated or not.
Of course, pets, like kids, amplify your concerns about everything.....:)
Perhaps a trip to Lowes will turn up some deserving non-toxic tree that's needing a good home.
Thanks for your help, Dick.
wrote:<BR><BR>With a one-year-old tree you do not have much invested in
it. It would <BR>seem a good opportunity to replace it with something
that you really <BR>want. I do not see much that is desirable about a
mulberry. I do not <BR>know about hallucenogenic properties but if they
were significant I <BR>would expect the matter to be noted in standard garden
texts. <BR><BR>Dick<BR><BR>> A book I have says that the unripe fruit
and sap from the leaves is <BR>> "hallucenogenic" and causes stomach
upset.<BR>> Is this true?<BR>> I have a year-old "accidental" red
mulberry growing in the back yard and <BR>> one of my dogs "plays" by
snatching leaves or grass blades and running <BR>> from me.<BR>> I'm
worried the tree would harm her if she got hold of the problem parts.<BR>>
<BR>> Should I go ahead and remove the tree?<BR>> I can't find any other
mention of the toxicicity problem on the net.<BR>> <BR>> Any and all
help is much appreciated.<BR>> <BR>> <BR>>