Re: Hydrangea ID, please

If it's in bloom right now, it appears to be Hydrangea arborescens 'Annabelle' or possibly 'Grandiflora'. It's hard to tell until it matures a bit, as 'Annabelle's flower heads seem to get larger and larger as the plant settles in. The apple green blossom color is a good clue..... it should move from apple green to white to brown.

Dave

I bought this shrub at an end-of-season sale. Unfortunately, no tag. Can > someone identify the type of hydrangea this is? I know it's a shot in the > dark, considering there are a bazillion kinds of hydrangeas, but I have this > anal retentive obsession about knowing what's in my garden. > Thanks in advance! Click the picture to enlarge it. > Lori > >

David J Bockman

Hard to tell from your single photo, but kind of looks like the bloom is more elongated than ball-shaped. So could be a PeeGee Hydrangea. Leaves and stems look right for it too. Keep an eye on the bloom...if I'm right, it should eventually turn light pink.

BT

Reply to
madgardener