Re: Garden Ornanent - Nodding Dog

It's about this time of year that I put my metal Nodding Dog Garden

> Ornamnet outside, he doesn't like the cold so he lives in my shed over > the winter! > > With a gently breeze, he nods his head and tail happily and is always a > talking point with the neighbours ! > >
> For the cat lovers, there's also one for you in the range.

Mosquitos and vendors, it must be spring.

Reply to
Billy

I have pink flamingos on my lawn - it's an ethnic thing ;)

Reply to
Frank

Frank wrote in news:IdqdnQwdgPjOurvVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

i have a glow-in-the-dark skeleton flamingo... lee

Reply to
enigma

OMG, I NEED one of those!! Where ever did you get it?

Val

Reply to
Val

I have a jockey... another totally ethnic thing ;p

Reply to
Pennyaline

WTF is the deal with pink flamingos? They are like so effing tacky?!?!?! My Dad had the damned things around his house, even had a concrete flamingo in his bathroom?!!?!!?!??

Maybe it's a daddy thing with me.....

SHeesh, I just don't get it....what is this ethnic thing? I get the jockey ethnic thing.....most of them got smashed years ago in these parts. Flamingos just get stolen and show up elsewhere!!

Eff me......just like taking a drive thru the southern part of my state and seein' all the concrete statuary for sale.........maybe that is my prollem!!!!

Charlie, needin' some enlightenment here, I'm tellin' ya'

Reply to
Charlie

"Val" wrote in news:1210468560.49988 @bubbleator.drizzle.com:

i got mine at Macro Polo in Portsmouth NH, but century novelty carries them:

saw some on eBay go for $39 *each*... i paid around $9 for mine. lee

Reply to
enigma

Charlie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

i think the whole idea *is* the tacky factor now. they're so tacky it's humorous

maybe, but then, maybe your dad liked flamingoes? my SIL has elephants everywhere & an ex-coworker collected frogs...

i don't think flamingoes are ethnic, i think they're "tropical". a lot of Jimmy Buffett fans have flamingoes... (maybe because they're easier to find than plastic parrots?) the jockeys are making a comeback around here, but at least

50% of them are white now...

garden art is a big thing right now. i have a concrete griffin next to my front door. i've had him for over

15 years though. actually, this is my 2nd one. i had Simon for 6 years, moved him out here, bought Garfunkel to go with him 9 years ago, then Simon had an accident (snowplow) & broke... Gaefunkel kindly holds yard tools, hats & gloves when we go into the house for short periods. he also gets dressed up seasonally, because i'm sick like that ;) i find a griffin with flashing pumpkin deelybobbers at Halloween pretty silly... or bunny ears for Easter or a shamrock necktie for St. Paddy's... lee
Reply to
enigma

FWIW, when I moved into this neighborhood one of the first things I noticed was a black lawn jockey. The lawn jockey is still there in the same place but it's changed its race several times (at least it's been red, yellow, and white, in addition to the original black). Personally if I had one I think I'd paint it green on the principle that if the Martians don't like it they're welcome to come out of hiding and sue me.

Reply to
J. Clarke

My son & daughter in law are big pirate (as in ARGH!) fans and also go all out for Halloween. They've moved into a new house and will have the House Warming first weekend in June. A pair of these will be a perfect addition to go along with the dogwood tree I'd planned on giving them. Too darned funny, they're going to love it!! LOL

Thank you!! Val

Reply to
Val

I believe the PC term for the flamingoes would be "kitsch" not tacky LOL They have a cult following. Friends in Montana had a flock of these plastic birds in their back garden and I made little fur ear-muffs and plaid wool neck scarves for all 18 if them. They became appropriately attired for winter when the first flake fell.

SHE had spent a full summer building a little fish pond and small corner of 'tropical paradise' in their garden, Florida transplants seem to get a little weird in the wilds of north western (Yak River) Montana. A large plastic palm tree mysteriously appeared one morning in her 'tropical paradise'. Then a large plaster frog wearing a pink polka dot bikini and sunglasses..then a blow-up alligator ...and so on. It became a game to find "Florida stuff" and sneak it into her garden. On her birthday we were all in on the Flock of Flamingoes Caper. After the first winter everything disappeared except the flamingoes and frog. SHE removed the flamingoes the third year she was there. The little local newspaper (town population of almost 300) was so inundated with letters to the editor about the demise of the flamingoes that SHE was shamed into putting them back out. It had become a landmark. That's when the 'costuming' began; bunny ears, Leprechaun hats, sunglasses, etc. It was a game to sneak over when they weren't home to embellish the birds. It's humor and FUN, Charlie. Save your passionate outrage for politics and global warming. You will make yourself too old too soon my dear. Yard art is just harmless fun.

Reply to
Val

Thanks, Val. I do have trouble changing hats and you are correct, many days I do feel too old.

Hmmm....me own dear wife tells me the same thing sometimes. :-)

I seem to need knuckles applied to head on occasion.

Charlie, tryin' to stay on the sunny side of life today

Reply to
Charlie

In a way just plantings can be considered and art form. Some like it wild and woolly some like it tame and formal. Both show the impact of our visions. Garden art can be a foil for the wild things growing about. I'd suggest the addition of simple sculpture made of things available. Bricks and concrete metal iron etc. I got a bronze sculpture by the pond but it must go back to it's creator (My Friend Madd) soon as it is a labor of love and belongs with her family. I got it as a gift 30 years ago.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Yep. Looking back at older pictures, it is interesting to see how our visions change over the years.

We tend towards natural objects and old ironware...intersting rocks, old cistern pump, hundred year old park bench that is riveted, cast iron signage, etc old cast tools......lots of what we had, we have moved on to our sons families as they start their journey. We are making the effort to simplify and relinquish those things that possess us.

Thanks for the links....made me feel gooder. The Python boys are marvelous at imparting truths.......

Care Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

It's called kitsch:o)

Reply to
Billy

You're not paying attention. He already is too old too soon. Sheesh;o))

Reply to
Billy

Just stay to stay on the right side of the grass;o))

Reply to
Billy

Years ago I was driving my elderly Aunt (Grandmother's sister) to the store when she spotted a garden with a wonderful, old weathered hand plow sitting in a beautiful bed of flowers in somebody's front garden. "Why in the hell would anybody put a piece of old junk like that in their front yard!?!"..........said the woman who had about 50 assorted whirly-gigs mounted on everything for the mailbox to dahlia stakes, a cement donkey with the flower pots (planted with plastic geraniums), a brightly painted plastic windmill, two totem poles and a chainsaw carved bear that looked to be chasing the 'deer family' who had adopted a bright orange baby giraffe and enough elves and gnomes to put Snow White into a life time of institutionalized therapy. I wisely made no comment.

..........I'm just sayin'....LMAO

Val

Reply to
Val

What is the expression ...Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Aesthetics to complex for me but I know campbell soup cans don't make it and rain drops on a leaf does.

Rain and wind last nit Plants wondering why so cold Fireplace makes pleasant sound Yet taking out the trash required clothing Task is done But never so much color when I did it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Ya' know....sometimes I just gotta give you that sideways, funny eyebrow look, you old fart.

Foo, Robert said it best....

"Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."

You know the rest of the words.

Yer Brudda in Arms Charlie

Reply to
Charlie