Re: A new and disturbing practice for some Lowes garden centers and responses. (I'd like some feedback from my NG friends here on this)

"Gardñ@Gardñ.>

>> it must cost less to trash their stock than to hire someone who knows >> whatthey're doing. > >They know what they're doing and intentionally doing it wrong; and yes, it >does cost less.

Actually, since Lowes and other box stores depend on bringing plant material in from other growers, they have deals in place for damaged or dead plants. They get replaced or refunded. However, in that deal, they must discard the plants.

Here, Lowes sprays them bright orange on the outer container and mark them down. I think it offsets their loss, but I will also say the Lowes I shop at here in this neck of America have very good, informed staff and their nursery centers are immaculate and well kept all season. Not an easy thing to do in a box store...where, for the most part, gardeners don't shop.

Reply to
escapee

Most large chain stores get very good plants. The trick is to buy them when they first come in before the store employees have a chance to kill them.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Even in our local garden centers, it pays to buy & install plants soon after they arrive in inventory. They don't get better as they year goes on. Even with GOOD care, they become increasingly potbound.

I find that it also pays to visit the garden centers before the season starts to see what has overwintered (in order to avoid buying it later). I have bought a few plants that had suffered in pots, and although with TLC they became healthy and strong, a year or two of growth was lost as they recovered. The time loss isnpt worth it to me, even if the price is reduced. But often, the price is the same, and it's buyer beware.

Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Reply to
Mike Prager