Raised bed borders

In my new refurbed front garden ( when it gets that far) I'm looking at putting in some raised borders, not very high just about 4-6" or so can anyone give me any tips, on building the raised border so it doesn't rot my new wooden fence to what plants to grow.

It's fairly shady around there for the most part, it's north facing and the garden currently grows wild roses, ivy, holly, various undetermined spiked shrubs and brambles lol

I'm after planting Rosemary and lavender among options but they're the only plants I know, I'd like a low maintenance garden

Reply to
Sixtie7

Frame the raised area with concrete blocks, sometimes called cinder blocks.

First dig down a depth equal to the height of the blocks, piling the soil in the center of the area or else on a tarp (sheet of canvas, vinyl, etc) outside the area.

Make sure the edges just beyond the dug area are level. Place the blocks with the holes pointing up around the dug area to frame it. Stir enough compost, coarse sand, peat moss, and even sawdust or wood chips (e.g., from having trees trimmed) into the dug soil to fill the raised area to the top of the blocks. Remember that some settling will occur, so you really need a generous amount of those amendments. For every square foot of surface in the raised bed, also stir in a handful of bone meal.

Plant your raised bed.

Pack a good potting mix into the holes in the concrete blocks. Plant wax leaf begonias in the holes. See "West Shrub and Flower Bed" near the bottom of my and the photo at .

Rosemary and lavender are both in the salvia family. Except for mints, members of that family are generally drought-tolerant and prefer a soil that is not overly moist with scant nutrients. They also prefer at least part sun.

Reply to
David E. Ross