Questions about Lime for Lawn

I got my soil tested by some local Master Gardeners and they told me how many pounds per 100 sq feet the lawn needs to correct the pH.

But I'm mystified as to what to do next.

A couple questions:

  1. What is the difference between pelletized lime and the cheaper stuff?

  1. Do I use my Scott's rotary spreader to apply the lime, and if so, how do I figure out the setting needed?

  2. My lawn needs a huge amount of lime. I assume I do a bit each year, not all at once. Is this so?

  1. I've planted new grass and overseeded this month. When is it safe to apply the lime?

Zone 5 here, with a 1 year old lawn for a new house.

-- Jenny

Reply to
Jenny

Pelletized lime is distributed as pellets. Agricultural lime produces large white clouds and is very messy. If it contains traces of magnesium all the better.

Yes. Read the suggestions on the package. I have a Scotts rotary spreader and set it to "9" for pelletized lime. You can always go back again until it is gone.

For a half acre apply 800 pounds. Do another pH test in 6 months and reapply lime if needed. Lime works slowly. Purchase a pH test kit--they are inexpensive.

You can apply lime at any time without harm to the grass.

Reply to
Phisherman

Thanks! That was just the information I needed!

--Jenny

Reply to
Jenny

Do NOT use a rotary spreader for powdered lime. You will get huge clouds of the stuff that will just waft away in the wind and you yourself will look like a white ghost when you're done. A drop spreader is best for powdered lime. You can use a rotary spreader for pelletized lime which I would recommend for ease of use.

-al sung Hopkinton, MA (Zone 6a)

Reply to
Alan Sung