Question - using Roundup on French broom

I've been using Roundup as part of my technique for getting rid of the French broom that's threatening to take over my hillside. I paint it on the lower stem and often abrade the lower stem to assure absorption. I then wait about a week for the glyphosate to do its dirty work on the root system, then pull the whole thing up with a weed wrench. (I'm also careful to remove any seed pods from the broom and dispose of it plastic bags.)

My question is about the concentration to use. I used the recommended dilution in the directions, which gave me a concentration of less than

1% glyphosate. Using that, I didn't really see much dieback in the broom plants after a week. I notice that Roundup that's sold for direct application has a concentration closer to 2%. Is that the concentration I should use? Perhaps stronger?

Let me know, Peter

Reply to
Peter Werner

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says... :) My question is about the concentration to use. I used the recommended :) dilution in the directions, which gave me a concentration of less than :) 1% glyphosate. Using that, I didn't really see much dieback in the :) broom plants after a week. I notice that Roundup that's sold for :) direct application has a concentration closer to 2%. Is that the :) concentration I should use? Perhaps stronger? :) :) Unless the label of the concentrate allows a mixture higher than what you are mixing, you shouldn't make it higher. Your concentrate and the pre mixed you saw on the shelves probably have a bit different formulation make up, giving the different percentage rates for the finished product even though the end results will be expected to be the same.

Reply to
Lar

My Round Up instruction booklet says for general use against shrubs using a hand held sprayer, use a 2% solution. Same against perennials. 1% against annuals.

There are specific percentages aga> :) My question is about the concentration to use. I used the recommended

Reply to
Andrew Ostrander