Planting Perennial Plugs

Hi, I'm a new gardener and a new garden banterer! We have recently moved into a house with a huge garden and have begun to lift some turf along the drive ready for a flower bed - mainly summer perennials and spring bulbs. Ideally, I would like to plant both over the next couple of weeks. I have seen plenty of online suppliers still supplying perennial plugs, and wondered is it possible to plant these directly into the soil now or should I plant in pots indoors or simply not bother buying any perennial plugs until spring? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
Wipedout

it depends upon many factors, but i'd say that now is not a bad time to do it for a mild wintered location like most of the UK.

i'd not put a garden right along the edge of a driveway. just asking for too many troubles. the kind of soil/cover (compacted and well covered so it can take some abuse and still be functional) you want along a driveway is about the opposite of what good garden soil is like. one person driving off the side and ..., or a heavy rain... ick.

instead leave enough space that it can be mowed, accidentally driven on, snowplowed, etc. before siting the gardens.

also many bulbs do not like poorly drained soils and/or extra moisture so you may need to find those that can do better in those types of conditions.

songbird

Reply to
songbird