Planting cedar shrubs

Can anybody offer any tip's for planting replacement cedar shrubs. I am in the Pacific Northwest so the weather is fine.

The root ball is enclosed in burlap, should this be removed or just cut open on a couple sides to allow the roots to grow through.

Thanks

Reply to
Bryan

If it is real biodegradable burlap, you just cut slits and leave it in the hole. If it is plastic burlap or treated burlap, you remove it completely.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

How does one tell if it is treated. Perhaps it's best if I just slit the sides to be safe.

Reply to
Bryan

Real burlap is a soft natural material with just a natural brown color. Treated burlaps are usually dyed to distinguish them.

Reply to
Stephen Henning