Planting asters?

We have gotten a bouquet of what look like asters recently and I was surprised to see roots and new foliage growth after awhile in the vase. The question is, would it be practical to plant them at this time of year? If so, where should I plant them? We live in the Philadelphia area.

Thanks in advance, Boris Zakharin

Reply to
Boris Zakharin

Plant them in full sun. You don't have anything to lose by trying. Asters are pretty and easy to grow. IIRC, I used to cut my way down in late fall (in California, the land of boring weather), and they'd come back like crazy in the spring.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

Depends on whether your bouquet was comprised of true perennial asters or annual asters, Callistephus, which are typically much more common as cut flowers. Perennial ones are typically offered for sale at this time of year and now is a fine time to plant. OTOH, planting annual asters now is not going to achieve much - they will be toast after the first frost.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam

Thanks. I guess I'll find out soon enough and it couldn't hurt, could it?

Reply to
Boris Zakharin