Ping: Charlie / howdy back response

I'm good, been busy. Got our first rain in months last night. Had some twisters in the area yesterday afternoon, I got pics of one myself. It never touched down. Thankful for that. Very thankful for the rain. We are "eye-high" in cornstalks. Round baling them seems to be working out very well. Our cattle & horses are enjoying them for the moment. Picked up extra business for it, got a tractor & baler paid off. Really thankful for that as well. My freebie server is still down, so still doing the "google- thing"...ugh, but it's free. Start homeschooling a little girl from down the road on Monday. Baby's finally got her first two teeth cut thru now. Makes my nights a little easier. I don't know why, but it seems nights are always the worst when children are sick or teething.

Having the dedication for the baby & my sister's graduation tomorrow. Don't remember if I mentioned it awhile back, but those things were post-poned on account of my great-aunt's near-fatal wreck. She's doing better, in skilled nursing. She's a living miracle, she shoulda been gone by medical standards.

Glad to read you again...Been praying for ya buddy. Don't know what's going on, but for some reason, keeping ya in my prayers. Hope you don't mind...it sure can't hurt ya none. Give me a holler sometime..

Rae

Reply to
raeannsimpson

silver linings to clouds and all that. ;-)

G'luck with the schooling. As you well know, kids do wonderfully when you just get them pointed in the right direction, watch carefully for their strengths and weaknesses, and allow them to learn. Amazing what they will do when you don't try to stifle their natural curiousity and creativity.

Is this the wreck you mentioned, oh shoot, what three/four months ago? When you provided care for a while? I don't think so, but I have not been a frequent flyer here lately.

You kinda took me by surprise here, girl.

Hmmmmmm........so perhaps you are behind a chain of circumstances that have me giving a closer look at myself! ;-)

Seriously, and the above was serious, though in a light manner... I have been doing battle with some personal demons lately. Some days I prevail, other days the "demons" get the upper hand, but the daily struggle goes. Daily picking up one's cross, one might say. It's OK, life is not easy, not meant to be, IMO. Always room for improvement.

But, I have become aware of something that could underlie some of these problems and am having a go at that. First off, I gotta kick the crap out of one particular nasty and then we'll see. Layer by layer, a bit like taking an onion apart.

Interesting that you would pick up on this. I appreciate the prayers and please continue, though you get scant info on the nature of how you should pray, yet enough it is. Gives me strength.

You take care and give your family hugs

Thanks Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Thank you. I'm hoping it will work out well for the child's sake. I have a long relationship with home schooling...

I think you are re-calling the one that my MIL was in. MIL's wreck was a week or 2 before my great aunt's...

I kinda figured that....

Hey, that never hurts anyone! A little self reflection is good for all...

Above comment applies here also...

Well, reading "between the lines" of your few posts lately, I kinda noticed something wasn't "quite" right... No one ever needs all the details to be able to pray for someone, regardless of personal beliefs in the view of religion. In the meantime, if you ever need me for anything...(& that sentiment goes for anyone on the group) everyone on here knows my email addy, & it is the correct one!

Same to you! Hope the grands are doing well. I'm sure you're enjoying them.

Anytime... Rae

Reply to
raeannsimpson

Fact is that 30% - 40% of kids don't need teachers. They just need to be pointed in the right direction. In Public Schools there are 25 - 30 students per teacher. The more face time a student gets with the teacher, the better the student will learn. Go through the math and English with them and show them how to get to the right answer. The only real problem with small numbers of students is socialization. Find some way for your students to interact with other kids, and don't forget the museums. Having older students teach younger students is also good. You never learn so well as when you teach.

Reply to
Billy

As do we. It is a shame that more aren't able, or willing, to do this in this day. The sacrifices that families must make in order that a parent may remain with the children are often simply impossible.

Yes, well, sometimes it is a bitter pill to swallow and one may not like. or be comfortable with, what they discover.

Ha........like things are ever quite right, but yeah, I gotcha! ;-)

Ones' beiefs......now there is a subject that keeps one in discussion and thought for days, hours, weeks lives on end.......perhaps some day, other places and other times......we'll see.

The grands are great, well not great-grands, but great grands. Number One is spending huge amounts of time teaching himself addition and subtraction, reading, and writing. HUGE amounts of time. The concepts and relationships of numbers are making sense to him and when ever he gets another connection, he is ecstatic. His reading is limited to sight words he recognizes, but he is spending HUGE amounts of time asking how to spell words, which he then writes. OF course this requires you to spell one letter at a time and often check, but it is fascinating to watch the progress he makes. He is four now. He visits most days and spends at least one night and day/week here.

Number two stays with us during the week while his parents are having to do their wage-slave thing. He is now 2 1/2 months old and we are starting to get the grins and flailings out of him. Other than that he is doing what one would expect...... peein', pooin', eatin' and sleepin'. *Lots* of each of those.

Number Three, which will actually be Number One Girl, (unless the ultrasonathingie missed something, which *can* happen), will be born Oct. 30, unless she decides to make an early entrance, in which case DIL will have an immediate emergency C-sect.

Ahhh yes.........what can I say.

Catch ya later, 'spose I better get some rest.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Right on all accounts. We heard the socialization argument lots. Actually, it was the only criticism we did receive. Hell Billy, as you know "socialization" carries it's own dangers. I was one well socialized little prick, and I am still trying to unlearn some of the crap that was learnt.

Still a prick too.

Charlie, havin' a +day, one down to the good and simply by chance, listening to Cat Stevens and called up this one....seems appropriate, eh?

Reply to
Charlie

FWIW.......our interest and decision to homeschool began with an interview with John Holt in an issue of TMEN.

Here is a bit about him and his work.

a bit about socialization. We relied upon the work of Dr. Urie Bronfenbrenner of Cornell University in making our decision and explaining ourselves to *them*. This was not exactly a mainstream thing to do in even the early eighties.

Old Feller

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Glad to hear that your havin' a good day, dawg. Funny the roads that we tread up and down, sometimes new, sometimes familiar. Sure makes a mess out of the soles of my shoes.

When I was just a boy, I went to school with "Mexican" and "Nisei" kids and it wasn't until after I got out of high school that I encountered prejudice against them. I didn't know different was bad, and I still don't. Funny how when a four year old laughs. They could be anybody's kid. If you can just let people interact, without any cultural prejudice, I think we would all be better off for it. We all came from the same place geographically and we're all going to the same place geologically.

Peace.

Reply to
Billy

One step up and two steps back for ya'.

Have you tried an infusion of whole dried herb? It is fairly cheap. Maybe you've been there, done that.

All Leaf - Cut CO

Prunella vulgaris Heal All Leaf Cut is Certified Organic

Prunella vulgaris is a perennial plant that is also known as "Heal All" or "Self Heal". Prunella vulgaris contains rosmarinic acid, triterpenoid compounds.

Heal All has many potential benefits, including anti-microbial, anti-viral, and anti-oxidant properties. Heal All may have activity against herpes simplex virus which could be of benefit in oral herpes and genital herpes.

Part Used: Herb. A valuable but largely forgotten heat-clearing herb. Internally and externally for many types of infection (bacterial and viral). Very good rinse or gargle for mouth sores, pyorrhea, sore and strep throat. Ear and eye inflammation. Discharges and bleeding in general. Fresh wounds and sores. Studies show it to be valuable for high blood pressure, neurocardiac symptoms. Dizziness and ringing in the ears.

Ha......this reminds me that my Lovey and I have often laughed about skin color issues. Why would we insipid-looking, bleached-out pinkish things think we were in anyways superior by dint of our pigmentation, or lack of it. Cripes, we "europeans" are butt-ugly colored. Makes you wonder what's with all the hoopla and desire for tanning, eh?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

No I haven't. The information I was using calls for just the use of the flowers but I should try the leaf to check its' efficacy. I had two patches of prunella in pots. I planted one and I need to plant the other because I need more mass to get through the year.

Thanks for the site.

Fortunately, the wife of my friend came from St. Lucia, which is 99% black skinned. She knows who she is and who we are. I think her attitude is, "What can you do with fools?" I think any person of color could use some time in a society of color, just to not have "whitey's" opinion hanging over them.

I hope things go well in Jena tomorrow.

Maybe some day we can all be color blind.

Reply to
Billy

Yep, I'm going to be watching for reports.

Wearing black in support, as requested.

Sigh.......right now so many appear to just be blind...period.

Paix et solidarité Charlie

Reply to
Charlie