ph meter recomendation

Can any one recommend a ph meter that they are happy with

Thanks

Gary

Reply to
Gary & Karen

I am not sure such a thing exists. I use a dye indicator system because it is cheap, simple and reliable.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Do you need just pH or do you need EC also? I Don't have one, but I'm looking at a Hannah handheld. THey make a pH meter and a combo.

Gary & Karen wrote:

Reply to
dps

Cheaper solution than a good pH meter, and in my experience more than accurate enough for gardening, is good pH paper, like pHydrion. The 1-13 range is fine for most purposes, runs about $6-8 for a roll that will last most folks

5 years.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Thanks Kay I ordered some of the strips that you recommended.

Gary

Reply to
Gary & Karen

Nothing beats sending a sample to your extension service, most are very inexpensive. Meters need to be calibrated, accurate ones are about the same price as a rototiller.

Reply to
bamboo

There are also multi-range pH papers that can measure down to 0.1 unit. I inherited a couple of sets of these from when I worked in the lab. pH meters were finicky then and expensive and I cannot imagine your average gardener needing one. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

.. and besides .. if one has no clue on how to keep the measuring electrode(s) in correct condition the pH measures are near to worthless :-)

Reply to
imbsysop