Petunia's dying

Hello I have a rather odd problem with 2 flower beds around my house. For the past 4 years they have grown volumnous petunias. This year I have planted petunias at least 4 times in 1-1/2 months. What happens is that lets say 1 week or so after I plant them they suddenly and I mean 1-2 days will wilt up and brown up to a crisp. I have even replaced the soil in them with fresh. i have tested the soil and the PH is right on at 7.2. I have mock orabge bushes, sago palms and Lily of the Nile growing in the same beds, also I have purple Lobelia in there and some old Pansies. They are all doing extremely well. I have purchased Petunias from 3 different nurseries, all die. They get plenty of water also. Some lasted 2-3 weeks but most were gone in 1-2 weeks. I am stumped... can anyone help or advise me? could it be some sort of Fungus? I just don't know Thanks Gus

Reply to
Gus Absey

Where on the planet are you, Gustav?

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Reply to
Gus Absey

Is it hotter than normal this year? I always thought that the proper times for petunias where the cooler months of the year, ie: early summer and going into fall. IIRC, they don't like a lot of heat and tend to die back during July and August to revive again for one last show before autumn. If your June has been like ours here in the midwest perhaps they couldn't take the heat.

Reply to
Rev "Fragile Warrior"

I think you may be mixing-up petunias with pansies.

Reply to
Warren

Am I? *sigh* Damn. I thought I'd give the answer a shot since no one else was. That'll teach me to pretend I might know something.

Giselle (I guess I can go back to planting petunias again ;)

Reply to
Rev "Fragile Warrior"

That sounds righter for pansy and violas. My violas and pansies look a bleached now, we've had early heatwaves. Petunias are busting out all over. They both last here till fall with flowers almost all the time. For zone 6/7 they are easy-care color. Though green aphids have had a field day with my petunias.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY,

Reply to
DigitalVinyl