What is your favorite windowbox flowers ?

Hi I need suggestions for my windowboxes ...they are facing south. .. but shaded by the eaves. I want them to be fuller. I do use the container soil and slow release fertiliser ( maybe not enough). I water every 2 days as they have a reservoir in the bottom. Zinnias did well. Petunias were leggie, lobelia and alyssum died CathyLee Zone 5a

Reply to
CathyLee

When you plan your summer garden windowboxes you should use plants which are heat loving. Petunia's and lobelia and alyssum are all three cool weather annuals. They will wilt and get leggy. These are great for the early spring, or fall.

I live in a very hot climate so I also have containers which use a lot of water, sometimes twice a day. Up north, it is very easy to overwater and every two days may be way too much, which would also cause plants to get leggy and develop browing.

Some of my favorite plants are trailing verbena, buckeye daisy, mini zinnias, if you want petunias, use the Wave petunias which are heat tolerant. New Zealand impatiens are pretty with darker foliage, coleus as a nice foliage coloration, as well as sweet potato vine which comes in about four varieties now and easy to find at most good garden centers.

Good luck, Victoria

Reply to
Jangchub

Hmm - some sweet potato vines, million bells and something "upright" for some height.

Cheryl Isaak

"CathyLee" expounded:

Nasturtiums are one of my favorites.

As Roger Swain says, use thrillers (upright), fillers and spillers (hanging). As V said, try to stick with plants that can take the heat, cool season early annuals aren't always the best.

Reply to
Ann

Portulaca.

Reply to