Passionfruit

Hi folks.

I have a passionfruit of unknown variety, and want to know if I can eat the fruits without harm. While I very much doubt there are toxic varieties, I'd rather know :)

fruits are 1.5 to 2" long and upto 1.5" across Flowers contain purple/brown, yellow, and a very thin band of white.

Thanks, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

No passion fruit are listed in my poison plants book. Some of the fruits tease bad, to me, at least, but a friend says that he has acquired a taste for them and eats them.

The plant itself has some bad stuff in it, Passiflora incarnata has harmine alkaloids, which are indole in structure ... When taken as a tea or cigarette, the plant material acts as a mild stimulant.

Reply to
Charles

^^^^ was supposed to be taste

Reply to
Charles

Thanks Charles. Add them in small amounts to orange juice, gives it a gorgeous tang :) Something like 3 or 5%.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Hey there,

the leaves of Passiflora incarnata actually act as a mild sedativ rather than as a stimulant, which is why it's used in home remedies fo insomnia. It's quite pleasant tasting as a tea (although it's not s nice when smoked, and to be honest doesn't roll all that well), tw teaspoons of the dried leaf to a cup of water is sufficient, let i steep for ten minutes and then drink it about an hour or so before yo plan to go to bed. :)

Emma

Charles Wrote:

-- HedgeWytch

Reply to