Open source work garden planted out

I made a significant planting in the workplace garden I have been working on for 6 months. A cherry tomato plant went in today to match the sweet corn and parmanent mandarin tree.

The ground is old builders fill. The 'garden' is heaps of leaves, coffee grounds, bits of paper, fruit peels, weeds etc mulched down with the help of some worms. I don't expect a great harvest from it this summer.

Its first mission is to be a show garden. To demonstrate to people that and piece of land can be productive and that urban gardening can take place almost anywhere. And perhaps to inspire some people to give it a try themselves.

It will also serve as an open source garden. I will kick it off & keep it tended but others may like to plant in it.

Finally the produce will be open source as well. If people in the building take home the odd tomato or the odd mandarin, thats fine.

rob

Reply to
George.com

Good on you George. It may, or may not work, this time. Just like planting seeds. Sometimes they come up. Sometimes they don't. It sounds like a great chance to grow a community as well.

Good luck.

Reply to
Wildbilly

Yes good work. A tip: builder's rubble often contains cement which is quite alkaline. If some things don't do well for no apparent reason test the pH.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott