Not a great year

Only thing that did well was the yellow wax beans. They fairly LEAPED out of the ground and bore profusely for 2-1/2 pickings.

Now will replant area with snow peas.

The tomatoes did very poorly. Out of umpty planted, perhaps

6 survived, and are just getting around to bearing a little. Most of the plants just turned brown and died. Have NEVER had such an experience! Anybody else?

Well, I take that back about the "only thing". So many carrots that I have to figure out ways to use them up.

BTW - when they grow "beards" from being in the ground too long, does that hurt quality?

The leeks also did pretty well, and there again I have to figure out how to prepare them (other than my half-assed version of vichyssoise) before they go to seed in this TERRIBLE heat wave that lasted over a *month*! Unheard of in this area! (So Callif Coastal).

Guess I will pull up the broccoli; it's just taking up space. I have read that it's very hard for home gardeners to do well with broccoli. T/F?

The corn produced tiny (4-5") cobs of surpassing sweetness. I never did get most of them to the pot; just ate them like candy on the spot.

However, I did plant the corn too close together, and worse still (as I reported earlier) co-planted cucumbers, thinking they would twine on the corn.

Of course they languished in the shade,and were so far gone that they did not survive being moved. I planted new from seed, so hope the pretty yellow flowers will yield some fruit.

The arugula -- my first time -- is doing well, despite the heat.

Strawberries, after pausing, have started bearing again. Attempts to root runners have not been successful. Will only try again when they have developed substantial root systems.

Green beans are LEAPING out of the ground; amazing what fresh seed will do. Hope they fulfill their promise.

Ditto with bok chok fresh seed.

Well, I guess it wasn't THAT bad a year -- but when the tomatoes do poorly, it casts a pall over the whole garden.

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

dr-solo