No tipping policies

No-tipping policies at US restaurants prompt delight ? and disaster

Note the following point in the article: "According to research by Michael Lynn, professor of consumer behaviour and marketing at the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration, most people tip not based on service, but *because they feel guilty and obliged*. He also found that 53% of customers liked the idea of higher menu prices where tipping is not permitted."

Reply to
graham

I have a question about tipping in general. I have no problem paying tips for service in a restaurant. I just question different formats:

-sit down, waitress takes your order, serves your meal, keeps your beverage glass full, frequently asks what you need, suggests possible dessert alternatives

-Chinese Buffet, get table, person brings glass of water, you serve yourself food, water server never returns to offer more water

-Golden Corral Buffet, pick table and lay your receipt on table, go get your food and beverage, come back to table and notice a person has signed their name on your receipt with a note saying they are going to be my server...but they never serve a thing to me while I am eating

What would Miss Manners tell me to tip in these various scenarios?

William

Reply to
William

You're going out for a nice dinner. Don't be such a Scrooge. Leave a tip and quit bitching about it or just stay home and cook. I would rather serve myself with what I prefer and the amounts than someone deciding for me.

Miss Manners would say: Find a different buffet where they don't know you for being a cheapskate.

Reply to
Gary

Buffet says it all. They take dirty plates away and yes, I agree he's a cheapskate. Throw $5-10 on the table. Sheesh. If they can't dig into their pocket for a measly tip, then they should be eating at home or going to a drive through.

Reply to
sf

$5 - $10 tip at a buffet???? Only if lobster tails and filet mignon and pate de foie gras are on that buffet.

Lunch buffets around here are in the $5 - $10 range around here and I'm certainly not going to give them a 100% tip. I drink water when I go out to eat, no matter where it is and

95% of the time I don't drink anything until I'm finished with my meal. So the attendant only takes away my empty dishes and depending on the price of the meal I will usually leave $1. That's the norm around here; if I eat at a restaurant that actually takes my order, brings me different dishes, then yes, I will tip accordingly. Not just pull out a five or ten dollar bill and throw it on the table.

The tip at a restaurant where my order was taken and I'm served will depend on the server. If my meal is brought to me with part of it missing and my server vanishes only to show up to bring me the bill will be reflected in the size of the tip.

Reply to
itsjoannotjoann

Feedbag type buffets seem to be typical of those who complain about leaving a tip.

Reply to
sf

I'm not complaining about leaving a tip just commenting on the 'need' or 'deservedness' of a 50 - 100% tip because someone removed a plate or two, or even the possibility of refilling a glass.

Paying $10 for a buffet meal and then slapping down a $10 bill for a 'tip' doesn't make someone worthy of praise and admiration.

As far as 'feedbag type buffets' well, hold onto your garters, ALL buffets are feedbag type establishments if you want to make a statement. You think some buffets are for those who eat like a bird and others for those who feed like they are at a trough? Once again ALL buffets, yes every one of them, are feedbag establishments.

Sometimes Babs, I think you make statements just to see if you can outdo Julie on the ridiculousness.

Reply to
itsjoannotjoann

The people who eat at buffets and then complain about leaving a tip are ridiculous. Go to a drive through if you're that cheap.

Reply to
sf

What? You don't tip the people at the drive thru? They make minimum wage to take your order and serve it to you.

Reply to
Dave Smith

I often use the drive thru at the pharmacy and at the bank, there's no tipping expected.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

You have a drive thru pharmacy? Really. I've never heard of that.

Reply to
Gary

Right next door to me, Walgreen's drive through pharmacy open 24 hours.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Yep. Walgreen's (although they are ridiculously priced) and even my grocery store has a drive thru pharmacy. I suspect Gary is being purposefully obtuse.

Of course, you don't tip the person at the drive-thru pharmacy. Nor do you ask them how much they make per hour so you can figure out whether or not you should be tipping them. LOL

Jill

Reply to
jmcquown

Walgreens is one of those places that always smells slightly bad

not as bad as dollar tree ... more like k mart

Reply to
tert in seattle

Now we know that Tert is the kind of poofta who sucks the farts from theater seets... the military can use Tert as a fart sniffing K-9

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Don't ask and don't tell...little Brooklyn feller.

Reply to
Stagger Lee

Yer a koOky little feller.

Reply to