Hi everyone - this is my second attempt at posting this - my first timed
out - oops!
Well I am a total newbie to gardening (think greener than the greenest
thing you have ever seen).
I live in the uk, and am a single parent to my 2 beautiful young
children. Both of my kids are under 5, and my youngest (2) is
disabled.He suffers from GDD and cerebral palsy - which means his
moility is limited and he appears very clumsy. I have an small dog
(affenpinscher), and i am looking to create a garden that we can all
I have absoloutly no idea where to start - i know nothing about plants,
lawn care, planting, garden design, pet and chlid friendly planting, etc
My garden is a complete blank canvas, and i have the time and
wilingness to put in all the labour, i just need the advice and
encouragement! I do though (well being a single mammy) have the
smallest of small small budgets, so i know this isnt going to be one of
those miricle overnight garden makeovers.
my garden is:
* 4m wide x 10m long
* house is on south "wall" with small patio in front
fenced (panel fencing) on 3 remaining sides to 4ft high
* behind north fence is mature hedgerow - 12ft high
clay soil (solid lol)
* laid to lawn - very patchy, weak and unhealthy looking
access to garden is only through the house.
* very shady
* child and pet friendly design
child and pet friendly planting
* help on selecting shrubs, and all planting
help and ideas for a design
* not too many annual plants (i'm a single mum and cant afford to
replant the garden each spring)
* as much colour and scent as is possible (being child and pet friendly
not asking to much am i? I have absoloutly no idea where to start, and
need you all to kind of hold my hand through it all, please please
please can you help?