New Aspargus Plantings

I planted some Asparagus "roots" (i.e. not from seed) last spring in my garden. I read from various sources in the 2nd year and even 3rd to just let them grow and not harvest them. I am finding them tall (24 to 30 inches) and spindly. They are even falling over. Is this proper? It does not appear that they have propagated much (only 2 - 8 separate shoots in each mound). I would have though they look healthier and flourish more in this 2nd year.

Any assistance appreciated. Mark.

Reply to
markschenkel

You are aiming for about that height (probably a bit taller actually), but with a solid wall of leaves. For example:

I can't help you so much is how many years it takes to get to that point, and whether your slow progress means you should be fertilizing or looking for a pest or whatever the problem might be. My (limited) experience with asparagus was with a well-established bed.

Reply to
Jim Kingdon