NEIGHBORS STEREO destroys serenty of the garden

One time when I was a lot younger, me and another guy took an old casette player and on a 90 min tape, recorded over and over from a sounds effect record the sound of an A-bomb blast. The other guy rigged a sound sencor chip and a timer chip into the playback side, after the last bit of each sound there was a tiny note that when the chip head it, would stop the tape from advancing, the timer chip would start and 10 mins later the whole thing happened again.

We planted it near a guys house who we didn't like and it was out of sight. It only lasted one night, but it drive him wild hunting for it in the middle of the night.

-- "Knowledge is a 3 edged Sword" Kosh on Babylon 5

Throbbing

stereo

Reply to
starlord

It has happened right here in the trailer park I live in, when we had a bunch that lived just two doors down from me, they'd have their cars boombox going full blast during the day, it got to the point I got an old record player, put a full set of speckers outside and dug out my Jpanese Super Hero records and let'm rip. Then one of them walked threw my gate to reach down and turn it off, I stepped outside with my Japanese sword in hand and told'm if they touched anything they'd lose their hand real fast. So when the manager had to kick them out for none payment of rent, I was very happy to serve the papers on them. We've not had any troubles in the park since they left last summer.

-- "Knowledge is a 3 edged Sword" Kosh on Babylon 5

starlord

Do likewise. PA horns are cheap, carry well.

Advisable NOT to exceed the idiot's volume level. Best to stay a notch below. Sun Tzu said always maintain the high ground.

Old fart's music. Good choice. So is 1940 - 1970 era C&W. Apparently, shopping center managers have used it effectively to rid their properties of loiterers.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Reply to
gregpresley

This has happened to me also. I moved from a town to a quiet country setting on a dirt road that was not used by people. I was hardly there a few years when in moved the construction people and houses popped up every where. Next thing a park was built for children and then the music started. It ruined my perfectly quiet atmosphere. The only solution I could think of besides moving was the nice little foam ear plugs I used to wear when working in a factory. They work great for keeping out noise and I have been thinking about wearing them a lot more lately....like to the supermarket where they decided to play the loud screechy music which is annoying when shopping. I only need to use them sometimes as it is not noisy all the time, mostly on weekend when kids gather with their music.

Reply to
Susan Feader

hmm, I know the ear plugs you mean (my wife snores, LOL).............but then I couldn't hear the birds and waterfall....which is one of the reasons I didn't want to hear the music to begin with. I DID hear a rumor yesterday that my noisey neighbor MIGHT be moving this summer...........but then I don't put much stock in rumors and the ones I really want to come true are usually just that, rumors

oh.........by the way, the last minute question I put on my original post..............regarding leyland cypress...........seems I am the culpret, indirectly any way.........I sprayed a product called TREE GUARD to try to stop the deer from eating what little there was left that they already hadn't.....now every leyland cypress I had sprayed is turning light green, the leaves are curling and dry parts are crumbling to the touch. I couldn't have mixed it incorrectly as the instructions said to use it right from the $40/gallon container. Arborvitae are all fine but a blue star juniper is showing the same condition. The side of the leyland cypresses that faces another neighbor is fine ( I ran out of TREE GUARD and had to use Hinder on that side.....no damage at all there)

Btw, the deer LOVED the tasted of Tree Guard. I resorted to fencing the yard in with 7' plastic netting and thus far no more deer have gotten into the yard.

Thanks for all the responses to my problem with my noisey neighbor.....most of which I cannot use as someone has to be OUT of Jail to hybridize the daylilies . Besides, when I lived in an apartment for 15 years, i used most of those methods and found one-upmanship doesn't work, there are always bigger speakers and stupider people to silence, .

I am sure something will work out rich

Reply to
Rich

oops, I forgot to ask, is this a pic-free group or are you allowed to post pictures?

rich

Reply to
Rich

Talk with your neighbors and work out your differences. Most people will adjust.

Reply to
MC

There is the urban version of shoot shovel and shut up, perhaps a little creative vandalism is in order although I would consider it a last resort as you don't want to start a war. What worked for me was to play the same music delayed a bit. Or in the case of radio to tune a little off the station and send some noise on back. Perhaps deer can be trained to eat speaker wires.

On the topic of deer they will not walk on chicken wire. It goes up between their toes and they do not like it at all.

Reply to
Beecrofter

You think that's bad....Imagine hearing Mexican polka ALL weekend, sometimes ALL night, LOL! We have 11 acres and live in the middle of them. On one side (about 5 acres away from our house) we have Hispanic neighbors that have 7 mobiles homes set up behind their own home. As soon as the weekend hits, you hear the base boom boom boom of Mexican Polka...ALL DAY LONG! My solution.....I haul my speakers outside and throw some Pink Floyd on and turn up the volume as high as it'll go! Usually they get the hint and turn theirs down a bit:)

If it bothers you too much, get yourself a walkman and some nature tapes:)

Happy Gardening:) Angie

Reply to
junkyardcat

I live next to a railroad track. Though it is amazingly loud I quickly got used to it. However when the neighbors crank their stereo it drives me crazy. I think it's because the train is just noise while music has content that demands my minds attention. So the music is a distraction that interferes with my own thoughts (which might even be musical). So my opinion of people who are so selfish and self centered as to play their music so that the neighbors can hear is not charitable.

Reply to
H Hornblower

But many of them assume a certain level of intelligence in the "someone". People are largely ignorant and self-absorbed. Blasting music is a right. F*** everyone else. It is a commonplace belief. To "teach" them to be polite is something they should have learned when they were 2 yrs old from their parents. Teaching adults and parents to learn basics sometimes requires more than a conversation... which has already occurred in this situation.

What seems left is mostly action, legal, political, retaliation (sometimes people only learn from experiencing things first hand), etc. Unless someone can provide examples of a kindler, gentler method.

You could erect high sound proof walls between properties- ordinances may stop you, plus hurts sunlight into yard - but I think this is akin to law-abiding putting jail-like bars on their windows so they feel safe locked up in a prison of a house.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, 1 mile off L.I.Sound

1st Year Gardener
Reply to
DigitalVinyl

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

no, but it can help a great deal to viewed as pretty whacko and capable of anything. it is the perception that matters. of course, if they are the crazy ones dont do this. and under no circumstances physically attack a person of course, always be ready to run like hell. some times it helps to nag like their parents did. hell, I would even be willing to visit my local Hog Haven and offer a round if they drove over to the neighbors to have a little talk with them. Ingrid

Frogleg wrote: You don't "teach" people to be polite and accomodating

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

excuse me... it is not the teachers responsibility to teach children how to be polite or how to behave. that is what their parents are for, they had em, they should teach em to behave and have respect. My husband teaches high school and some of these kids dont know how to shut their mouths for 5 minutes. they cant stop talking, they dont know how to sit still for 5 minutes. they were raised with absolutely no discipline. this is a public CITY high school, but the teachers in the burbs are saying the same thing about their students.

I teach university kids and while they are somewhat more behaved they also cheat their asses off and very damn few of them were taught discipl>There is no politeness anymore and most people think only of themselves and

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Vigalante justice!

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

That reminds me. I grew up next to the fire department. I find it strange the way people react to a siren or fire truck.

Reply to
Phisherman

You basicly have 4 choices:

1: put up with it and hope they move soon 2: call the police and report noise pollution, and hope they'll do something about it. The police are usually reluctant to get involved with that they percieve as neighboorhood feuds. 3: legal action? 4: fight fire with fire. People who like the beetles, probably don't like garth brooks. Play that equally loud :)

Sameer

Reply to
Snooze

What happened to

  1. Talk to your neighbor like a reasonable adult?

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman