Need help identifying shrubs

From northeastern Texas....

Once upon a time they were carefully trimmed shrubs or hedges around this house before I bought it. But the house sat empty with little attention for a couple of years. Now they are trying to take over the yard, and I need to research ways to get rid of most of them.

Can anyone tell me what kind of growth this is:

have little buds, other don't. Otherwise they seem to be the same.

Reply to
Ken123

Looks like some sort of crepe myrtle of which there are probably 50 different varieties. Compare the leaves in this picture

to yours and see what you think.

Reply to
John McGaw

Reply to
Ken123

Definitely looks like crepe myrtle. We have dozens of them around here. When they bloom, they can be white, red-ish, pink, or purple. They grow pretty fast also.

-Rae in NC

Reply to
Rachael Simpson