Natural landscaping and home values

I am going to try really hard to remember this, Sheldon--the eating part especially. I want the critters, so I'd better be prepared for unintended consequences.

Reply to
Jean B.

"Jean B." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

it depends on the whole local ecosystem. i have a huge garden, plus beds of annuals & perennials around the house. i don't have *any* problem with deer eating any of my plants. yes, there are deer. i do my best to keep them out of the pasture because they are an alternate host to meningeal worm (fatal to ruminants), but there are lots of them in my woodlot & swamp. i allow one neighbor to hunt deer on my property & the local coyote population also keeps the numbers down. deer only get to be a big problem where Bambi-lovers don't allow hunting & there are no other natural predators. Sheldon lives near Albany. city folk tend to be anti-hunting without understanding that population explosions & the resulting deaths by starvation and disease are a lot more horrific than being culled by hunters. if you really like the 'critters' & you own a good size property, do consider allowing hunting. as a landowner, you

*can* choose who to allow to hunt. you don't have to make it a free-for-all or nothing. post your property, but mention to locals that you are open to hunting if asked first. it's not too much to request a chunk of the take either. mmmm, venison.

lee

Reply to
enigma

I live *near* Albany, NY like someone lives *near* Carson City, NV. You obviously know nothing about Albany County or its surrounding counties... that's because you haven't a clue about how someone can live *near* a city yet still live in a very rural area. The vast majority of Albany county is extremely rural. From this post alone I know you don't live rural now nor have you ever lived rural, except in your dreams.

Reply to
Sheldon

Shelly probably got this from About.com which is where most of his information comes from. Yes, he is obnoxious. We like to think of him, when we do, as local color.

Reply to
Billy

Sheldon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@w7g2000hsa.googlegro ups.com:

ya know Shelly, you really are a farging asshole. do you

*really* want me to post a closer discription of where you live? obviously *you* have never been to southern NH or you would clearly see that i certainly do know about rural areas near cities, since NH has far less area between cities than NY does. however, it's getting too developed for my taste, as is Albany county. we're looking mostly up in St.Lawrence, Jefferson & Lewis counties now. at least i live in a house & not a double wide... lee
Reply to
enigma

Hi again,

Thanks to everybody for your suggestions and your encouragement. I'm feeling a little more comfortable that somebody else out there might actually find this to be an asset. I've decided to make a binder with a list of plantings, and photos of the garden at various times of year. I'll put that right where anybody walking through will see it and hopefully, at the very least it will dispel the idea that it's just abandoned.

:-) Tommy

Reply to
thomasb369