Mulch Types and Carpenter Ants

We just had several yards of mulch laid up against many parts of the foundation of our house. It's a very dark color and has a very strong odor. My wife said it smells like horses. Do you know what type of mulch this is called?

One Problem is, I didn't think of it but we recently had a major problem with carpenter ants. Will this dark mulch laid up against the home attract the ants to the house? I know mulch retains moisture, and also know that carpenter ants love moisture, so was this mulch a mistake?

Reply to
Billy

I don't know what type of mulch it is from your description. Most odors in mulch dissapate in just a few days; however, 'smells like horses' may mean that the mulch has a fairly high component of stable-muckings; if so, you're likely to have a volunteer grass problem. Mulch isn't very good for harboring carpenter ants, in any case; they prefer intact, moist wood. If there is at least a six-inch gap between the top of the mulch and the base of the siding, it shouldn't form a ingress-pathway to the house for vermin.

Chris Owens

Reply to
Chris Owens