Melting snow

Will the melting 2 feet of snow we have be beneficial to my gardens? My husband says "no, most of it evaporates". Is he correct? I was hoping for an extra lush spring as payback for the horrible winter we've had here in No. Va. Thanks!

Reply to
starrysmile

Some will evaporate, some percolate down into the soil. Snow varies quite a but in the amount of moisture it contains.

Google "liquid water content of snow" to see various reports of how much snow it takes to melt to an inch of water. That statistic is surprising to most who read it.

gloria p

Reply to
gloria.p

Most of the water supply in California is the runoff from melting snow. In a normal or wet year, the snow pack in the Sierras might contain more water than the capacity of the California Water Project reservoirs. By melting slowly, the snow pack is itself a reservoir.

In your area, the result is determined by whether or not the soil freezes. In any case, much of the melting snow trickles through the unmelted snow, down to the soil. If the soil is well frozen, the melt water will then puddle or run off. If the soil is lightly frozen, the melt water will soon unfreeze the soil and then soak into the soil. If the soil did not freeze at all (protected from colder temperatures by the layer of snow), the melt water will definitely soak into the soil.

Reply to
David E. Ross

I have spread fertilizer when there was snow on the ground because it will penetrate faster then a heavy rain. True some evaporates but not all of it so I guess your husband hasn't walked on grass after the snow melted?

Reply to
bullthistle

Your ground is frozen, most of your fertilizer will be washed away as run off as snow melts and be wasted. Heavy rains will wash away most fertilizer as well. Read the directions on the package for when/how to apply in your area.

Reply to
brooklyn1