Lombardy or Nor'easter Poplar?

I am one of those people that can build things but never seem to have any luck growing things, so I need some expert help here.

The new neighbors next door (adjoining 5-acre plots) recently built their church (oops, I mean house) and we cannot go out our backdoor now without feeling that their house is going to sit on top of us and cannot enjoy backyard privacy while they are in the lawn chairs watching our every move. (The terrain slopes sharply upward toward them so their front deck is about 20' higher than our back deck).

Local codes do not permit a giant wall or 15-20' fence but do allow trees and there is no "view protection" so it really doesn't matter how tall the trees grow.

We have lots of water (a well producing 33 gallons per minute) and I have lots of time to drown those new trees in all the water they want.

My choices have been narrowed down to Nor'easter Poplar or Lombardy Poplar. I've heard stories about both. I plan on planting the 10' trees about 10' apart to form a veritable wall to block out the view of the new neighbors. I would like the trees to grow at least 4' per year and have a width of at least 10' so the line of trees would touch one another.

Of those two, which would be my best choice? There are no pipes, drains, etc. anywhere near where the trees will be planted. In fact, there is nothing man-made anywhere with 75' of where they will be planted.

We also have numerous deer in the area ( I believe we're in either zone 3 or 4) so I would encircle the new trees with some sort of guard.

Of the two mentioned, which would give the best privacy, would be the least disease and pest resistant and would be the best bang for the buck?

I have had the Nor'easter poplar quoted as $15 for a 4 footer and the Lombardy $39 for a 10 footer.

Thanks for any advice.

-The Guy With The Brown Thumb

(I'm using a friend's computer so please excuse the email address...lol)

Reply to
Guy With The Brown Thumb

Usually this is a developers trick. Build the house at the bottom of the hill first then, once it is sold, build the one above and so on, up the hill, because it will be harder to sell with a house towering over it.

(snip, whack)

I don't know much about trees but I hope your neighbor is to your north because, you will be throwing quite a shadow.

Good luck,

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
Billy Rose

66666666666666666666666666

They are to the east.

777777777777777777777777777 Good luck, Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

999999999999999999999999999

But my question, which of the two would be the best choice?

Reply to
Guy With The Brown Thumb

Providing that the new Thousand Year Reich doesn't confiscate your seeds, you are about to lose the warm afternoon Sun for your garden.

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (but down with Fascism)

Reply to
Billy Rose

it is better to plant two rows that way they overlap and block quickly. Ingrid

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 11:49:19 -0700, "Bob F" wrote: I would like the trees to grow at least 4'

Reply to
dr-solo

See Planting section for help.

Reply to
symplastless

On Jun 7, 10:37 am, Billy Rose wrote: I don't know much about trees but I hope your neighbor is to your north because, you will be throwing quite a shadow. 66666666666666666666666666 They are to the east.

777777777777777777777777777 Good luck, Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly) 999999999999999999999999999 Providing that the new Thousand Year Reich doesn't confiscate your seeds, you are about to lose the warm afternoon Sun for your garden. - Billy

??????????????????????????????????

Billy, are we on the same orb in the solar system? I stated above the neighbors are to the East and therefore the trees would be between our house (west of the neighbors) and their McMansion (east of us) and the garden/lawn area is between our house and the trees.

My question = when did the afternoon sun start setting in the East and thereby eliminating its warmth to my garden/lawn to the west of the trees? Hmmmmm.....

Reply to
Guy With The Brown Thumb

Another suggestion I've had from a nursery is to use Norway Maple trees in between the Poplar platings and slightly behind them.

Reply to
Guy With The Brown Thumb

Sometimes you have to view Billy as you would a faint star. :-)

If you focus your gaze slightly to the side, the faint star will often come into view, and shine much brighter.

Charlie, the StarGazer

Reply to
Charlie

On Jun 6, 10:54 pm, Guy With The Brown Thumb wrote: snipped................

I don't know much about Poplars so I consulted Sunset Noreaster Poplar is not discussed (common name may be different here)

Should not be a problem as Poplars sucker profusely and have lots of surface roots that sprout when any damage occurs (I do know that much)

I think you mean "most resistant" and the answer is neither; Poplars are subject to many pests and deseases.

Poplars seem to do best in climates with hot summers and cold winters If you get a poplar, get a Male tree (no cottony seeds)

Youre welcome---such as it is Emilie

Reply to
mleblanca

Your Sun sets in the West? Hmmmm. This is going to take some researching to get out of. I'll get back to you, but in the mean time, congratulations, your jardin is save-ed. We piss in your neighbors general direction.

- I'm not him, I'm somebody else Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
Billy Rose

Well, as you might guess, this sets me back some. Since "Truth" is presently being held in "extraordinary rendition" at an undisclosed site. I don't know why I must be personally held to a higher standard than the President of the United States, who even causes moral, "rock ribbed" Republicans to suck air through their teeth. Unlike the present resident of the "Oval Office", I will bow to the public desire that in the future, over there will be called "west", and over there will be called "east".

With the suspension of Habeas Corpus by the Junta (OK, they didn't call Blackwater but they still rigged the elections), there is no longer a need for proof. If you really want evidence to be presented in criminal hearings, you need to email or phone your elected representatives and ask them to support "The Habeas Corpus Restoration Act" (S. 185). After all, it's been the keystone of English Common Law, and ours, for 800 years. I think that would be the American thing to do.

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
Billy Rose

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Curious, does Billy smoke those funny cigarettes or has he simply breathed too much Repellex?

Reply to
Guy With The Brown Thumb

Thanks for all of the input; however I still need an answer to my original question. Here's the premise again.

1--I WILL BE BUYING either the Nor'easter or the Lombardy Poplars. I understand that both have negative aspects but I still will be buying one or the other so the response is simply check A or B.

2--I understand all the bad things about both but, good bad or ugly, my selection will be one of those two for a variety of reasons.

3--If you don't like either or haven't had experience with either then ther best bet is not to respond since you wouldn't pick either one and I must pick one or the other.

4--If nobody's had experience with both varieties, I guess I'm just out of luck. Thanks for any insight in comparing these two mentioned above.

Reply to
Guy With The Brown Thumb

Hey, I let you have your morning Sun in the east. The least, the very least, you can do is participate in a participatory democracy while we still have one.

At $5,000/lb you have got to be kidding this dirt poor gardener. Hmmm. $5,000/lb. Hmmm. If nothing else, it is hazardous to your freedom.