Lazy cruciferous

It's JUNE facrynoutloud and only NOW are a few broccoli and Brussels sprout plants deciding to put on a little growth!

They've been in the ground since last Fall and have done basically zip. A few tiny broccoli bits emerged at the tip of ONE plant. Otherwise nada.

This is So Calif coastal. We had mild non-winter and are heading into ?? summer. I think there's no point in leaving lazy winter plants occupying valuable space.

Will pull out unless I get dissenting advice.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Hi Higgs,

Had a big Brussels Sprout plant last year. The only thing it grew, and it grew them REALLY WELL, was aphids. I eventually pulled it out. I asked a nursery guy about it and he said a lot of stuff that went over my head, but to summarize the jest of it, they are hard to grow. But this is the desert and you are the coast, so I basically have nothing helpful to say.

-T

Reply to
Todd

Hi Higgs,

Send more tourists! Our economy here in Nevada is in ruin since the recession.

-T

Reply to
Todd

Sorry about the tourists...but Wall Street is doing very nicely, thank you. Inequality on the rise. Offshore money, if repatriated and taxed, would just about solve our problems.)

At least your economy is not going to be submerged by rising waters as with us coastal folks!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I'm not the only home gardener who's just about given up on growing certain veggies that we can get almost as fresh and almost as cheap at farmers markets(wanna see my water bills!!)

This year, planted only corn, green onions, carrots, tomatoes, two kinds of melon, green beans, strawberries.

Tx anyway. Note Grammar Police correction above in CAPS.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

When the "Big One" hits, I may have a nice piece of beach front property! Oh, but the water pollution will be a thing to behold.

Here is a fun article on sea levels:

Since the San Andres fault is moving laterally, you should not be seeing any uplifting due to subduction. And, you did not have an ice sheet to push you down (the mid west is still popping up from that).

So, I will have to settle for possible future beach front property.

Reply to
Todd

Yum. I can eat everything but the corn. Let us know how it goes.

Reply to
Todd

I wasn't talking about the Big One. I meant much longer-term consequences from the Greenland glaciers, the West Antarctic ice sheet, to mention only a few. Some estimates hold that if ALL the Greenland glaciers melted, it would raise the ocean level 23 feet. So you or your children or grandchildren may have your beach-front property after all.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Hi Higgs,

I was teasing about the "Big One".

Don't get too upset about the sea levels rising. All those predictions have failed to materialize. But the government money to study them has not.

Here is a competing study on the subject:

I wouldn't put any stock in the Greenland Glaciers. All the arctic ice has shifted over to the Russian side. I will shift back again and we will have lots of ice. It has done this several times before and no one got flooded.

I am afraid the rising sea levels scare tactics will not stop until the government funding stops.

Idea: how about trading us Clark County (Las Vegas) for Alpine County (Markleeville)?

-T

Reply to
Todd

With all due respect for your opinion, we need to drop the subject right now. It was OT for this NG anyway. I'm not open to any more exchanges on the subject

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Hi Higgs,

My apologies. It was suppose to be a conversation among friends.

-T

Reply to
Todd