Lawn Tractor Solar Charger

I have a John Deere Lawn tractor and I want to connect a solar battery charger to the battery becuase recently I've been having to jumpstart it after sitting up for a long period of time. Has anyone done this? Is there a down side to attaching a solar batter charger? The tractor sit for 2 to 3 weeks between uses. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Reply to
robertbbm

May need a deep cell battery. Harbor Freight has 5 watt solar panels for $39.

Reply to
G Henslee

I haven't with a tractor but I have solar panels. You should have no problem.

Is there a down side to attaching a solar batter charger?

The tractor

Reply to
Tom Randy

You can use a solar cell to recharge the battery as long as the cell puts out a voltage higher than the battery. However, if the battery loses charge over a couple of weeks, it's probably got a low-grade internal short (leakage) that drains the charge. This is normal as lead acid batteries age. Eventually, the leakage will take up all the current that the solar cell puts out and the battery will not charge.

At $39 for a solar cell, you're probably better off buy> snipped-for-privacy@tidni.com wrote:

Reply to
dps