Japanese Maple Volunteer

My neighbor has a J. Maple, and every year about this time (Mid-Atlantic), I find some tiny little volunteers in the lawn and flower beds.

Can I pot these, or even plant them, and hope that they'll grow into a healthy specimen?

Any tips on the right procedure, root conditioner, fertilizer, etc would be appreciated.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

I have raised a bunch of volunteers from my neighbor's tree.

I've had the best success keeping them in a mostly shaded (only filtered sunlight) location. For the first year I recommend keeping the soil moist - they don't react well to drying out. Initially I plant 4 or so of them in a

1gal container. Then after the first year I give the ones that survive their own 1gal container. After the first year they are very hardy, but I stake them to keep them upright.

There are many different varieties of Japanese Maples, so YMMV. Good luck.

Reply to
M.Paul

These seedlings, if coming from a grafted cultivar, will not be true to the original form-- doesn't mean you won't have a nice looking tree, mind you. They vary in vigour widely.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

"Buck Turgidson" in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.teranews.com:

if they are self seeding, don't baby them. maybe one of them will be a nice looking cv and tougher than the typical cv.

Reply to
Gardñ

Except they won't *be* a cultivar, they would be a from seed. Very different and a big no-no to label or refer to a seedling from a named cultivar as a true cultivar.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

AND if you are lucky they may be better then the mother plant. We have about 200 of theses rebel's in various stages of growth. LOT'S of FUN.

Cheap too!

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

"David J Bockman" in news:1w4nc.50373$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc03.gnilink.net:

a worthy seedling (or mutation) will be named.

Reply to
Gardñ