Is there a list for the best US cities for gardening?

I'm starting out a new career and can pretty much move anywhere in the US. I looked online but couldn't find a list of the best cities for gardening. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Reply to
craig4326

I think Franklinville N.J. is wonderful but I lived here 50 years.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Actuality the OP said best place to garden. I guess I have problems with that idea as gardening to me was bringing out the best with what you have. The potential to improve poor land and the satisfying reward of trying to and reaping what we sow. This is a lot of work. Having someone do your garden is akin to wearing gloves in life. Getting dirty and playing in a larger sand box I think is the way to go.

Besides if you play hard enough you won't need a gym account unless it is a social contact that is desired.

Bill

The Garden of Love

William Blake

I laid me down upon a bank, Where Love lay sleeping; I heard among the rushes dank Weeping, weeping. Then I went to the heath and the wild, To the thistles and thorns of the waste; And they told me how they were beguiled, Driven out, and compelled to the chaste. I went to the Garden of Love, And saw what I never had seen; A Chapel was built in the midst, Where I used to play on the green. And the gates of this Chapel were shut And "Thou shalt not," writ over the door; So I turned to the Garden of Love That so many sweet flowers bore. And I saw it was filled with graves, And tombstones where flowers should be; And priests in black gowns were walking their rounds, And binding with briars my joys and desires.

Reply to
Bill

Took a look about and found this.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

"Gardening" is such a vast area that you need to make some choices.

Do you want to garden all year? So. Calif and other mild climate cities. Or would you be content with a limited growing season. How limited?

Do you want to grow certain fruits that need winter chill -- e.g. old-style blueberries, pears, apples, etc. Check out cities that will give you winter chill.

Do you want to grow fruit trees? Shade trees? Need to check municipal codes, as well as soil quality.

All these, and many other garden variables, have to be considered lest you move to City "X" and find you can't do what you want.

Other non-garden variables: Air -- clean or polluted.

Soil - clean or polluted (by former heavy industry, e.g.).

Sunshine vs Rain.

Water supply.

Municipal government (crooked or responsive to citizens).

Schools (if school-age children)

Transportation - is there public trans. or would you be car dependent, and if the latter, how is traffic?

These, and no doubt many others, are factors equally important with gardening possibilities.

To gain some of the above, one might have to give up or compromise on others. But isn't life all compromise!

Happy hunting!

Dark Energy

Reply to
Dark Energy

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Now I realize that I need to specify the plant materials and that will narrow my search. I am most interested in fruit trees like peaches, cherries, and kiwis. I also want to plant gingko trees. Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Reply to
craig4326

Depends on what you want to grow and how cold or hot you want to be. In California some excellent growing climates have water problems - lack of and quality. The Pacific Northwest is hard to beat, I like the Pacific Coast, never gets too hot or cold. Others like a cold winter or hot summer. The Appalachians,, the Gulf Coast, The Desert Southwest I've seen great gardens almost everywhere I've travelled. Pick a place you like, you can learn to garden anywhere. If you plan to garden professionally, look for a long growing season or have some saleable winter skills

Reply to
Garrapata